Dizzy Issues

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jimbob
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Dizzy Issues

Post by jimbob »

Hi Gents,

I’ve a bit of strange issue happening with my V8.

Checked all sensors & idle value with the ECU mate, all are correct and working fine.

A while back i had a broken dizzy cap, replaced etc set the timing no issues, but i had to cross check the TDC mark, placed a spark plug with a bolt threaded in side, made two mark on the damper, then split the difference, for TDC, no issues so far.

Set the timing, engine was very smooth on idle, checked the static idle around 550-610 rpm, no problems.

This was around 2,00km’s ago, now it’s started to run rough again, replaced all plugs & air filter, cleaned flame trap, all breathers, no air leaks.

Went to check the timing it had drifted, cam was changed around 60,000km’s ago, I put on a standard cam with a duplex chain Cloyes. With the dizzy cap off, i slowly turn the crank to see if i have any slack in the chain drive, i don’t see any i nudge the crank pulley the rotor arms moves, then i nudge it back of tension, and it moves.

The dizzy is original never been changed, plug leads are red magnacore, new intermotor amp has been fitted i know i'm checking the correct cylinder traced it all out etc.

Hence i’m thinking that my dizzy is slowly braking down? Or am i wrong?

Cheers

James

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Easy enough to remove the dizzy top plate and examine the centrifugal advance.

But you could check the timing at full advance with a strobe? You'd need to make up a scale to read that high. There is a stop inside the dizzy which limits the maximum advance. If that is ok, but wrong at lower revs, it would likely be wear in the dizzy.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”