Charging light not going out

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Charging light not going out

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi all
Having removed my alternator to do a small mod for a different tensioning arm and then refitting I have fund to my dismay that the charging light will now not go out with the engine running after some time and a quick rev up
The battery is on a constant smart charge which drains and then boosts and then partially drains to keep the battery in top condition
I have had th battery checked today and it was fine
Nothing has been touched on the alternator since last year and everything was fine then charge light went out within seconds
Going to take it out tonight and check the brushes but is there anything else I should be looking for
Have checked all connections and everything is good in that department
Ta in advance
Paul

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Paul, I take it all the connections are nice, clean and tight. After that like you would have a look at the brushes first. If problem persists this place maybe able to test it for you http://www.mayflowerautoservices.co.uk/services.html not sure if its close to you

regards
Reg

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Has it got a good earth ? Loose or broken connections on the plug when it was refitted ?
So thats where it went !

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Connections all sound and tight
Earth is also good
This is the dilemma I have as the last time the engine was run all was fine and nothing has changed apart from the in and out for the modification to the housing
Will pull it out again and have another check of everything
Maybe I will take it to Mayflower Auto services
They are not far from me and on the way to a marina that I am working at so no boggy to run by and drop it off
Thanks for the help guys and Reg I will give you a call soon mate
Been real busy lately and not much time for anything else
Cheers
P

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Check the warning light circuit by unplugging it from the alternator and grounding the wire with the ignition on. The light should light.

Some alternators have an additional terminal for a rev counter. Are you 100% certain you have everything connected as was?

If everything checks out, and the fault is still there, a new regulator will almost certainly sort it. They cost about £30 and are easy to fit on the bench.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

And is the alternator actually charging, or not ?

If the light is on it usually wont be charging...but not always.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Hi All
Well now totally confused as have had the alternator checked today and it is in sparkling form.
It probably me being a knob and missing something completely obvious but I will keep you guys posted
Thanks for the answers so far and I will expect ridicule when I find the problem and tell you what it was.

cheers
P

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”