Timing problems

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Timing problems

Post by paulsv8manta »

Hi guys, finally got the engine running for the 20 min cam run in.

Now trying to set the timing with a strobe light, when i set the timing to 2 degrees btdc the engine runs really rough with the occasional popping.

When I turn the distributor back further to what looks like 30 degrees btdc the engine runs a lot smoother with no popping!

What am I missing?

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Re: Timing problems

Post by Darkspeed »

paulsv8manta wrote:Hi guys, finally got the engine running for the 20 min cam run in.

Now trying to set the timing with a strobe light, when i set the timing to 2 degrees btdc the engine runs really rough with the occasional popping.

When I turn the distributor back further to what looks like 30 degrees btdc the engine runs a lot smoother with no popping!

What am I missing?

Fuel - By way of it sounds like not enough - the weaker the mixture the more timing you will need - Also Popping !! - I take it you mean spitting back.

A weak mixture takes longer to burn than a rich one as the flame travels slower due to the lower charge density. Richen up the mixture and you need less timing.

2 degrees is however ridiculous - Unless for cranking (50rpm) on an ECU.
For idle timing 10-12 but this depends on the type of equipment.

My advice - 12 degrees and richer.

I ran 14 on mine but I had a non Vac dizzy stopped to 8 degrees dizzy advance.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Timing problems

Post by DaveEFI »

paulsv8manta wrote:Hi guys, finally got the engine running for the 20 min cam run in.

What am I missing?
It may be a silly question - but are you driving the timing light off the correct cylinder?

No1 is the front nearside one. If that's correct, I'd check the TDC mark is actually at TDC.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”