Ignition circuitry with MoTeC

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

A tacho should receive a trigger from the -ve ie trigger side of the coil...you stated it was supplied from the 12v side ?

Have you tested the ecu's outputs as requested ?

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Thanks for the pics. Nothing obvious there.

But the coil must get +12v from somewhere. What make/model is the ignition amp module? If I can find details of it might help me understand it.

I have seen revcounters connected to the coil positive. There will still be a pulse present there - but not as large as at the negative.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

More wiring info here.

But still..testing needs done

http://www.motec.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3380
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:More wiring info here.

But still..testing needs done

http://www.motec.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3380
That suggests the module is a Bosch 0 227 100 124

Pinouts are:-

1 = Coil negative output
2 = Power Ground
3 = Input screen (if used)
4 = 12V supply
5 = Spark input signal
6 = NC
(7 = NC)
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I would still like to see a better test of the ecu outputs.

He's stated some voltages....which are unusual.

Again, a meter set to volts is not an ideal test, it would need to be something that can identify the fast voltage changes. Whether a dwell meter, frequency, scope etc.

A digital voltmeter should register some sort of change though, although a static reading of 1.6v or whatever it was just makes little sense.

And was the reading to ground, or across both wires ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

This is the wiring I'd expect to see with that module:-

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Your drawing would differ slightly from Motec's drawing for what is supposed to be the same amp.

At the minute the only thing that has changed has been the tacho...IMO disconnect this completely from the car and try again

New ignition amps do not appear to be expensive ( there's even one on ebay for £15 )

Jut try a new one with the tacho disconnected
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

stevieturbo wrote:A tacho should receive a trigger from the -ve ie trigger side of the coil...you stated it was supplied from the 12v side ?

Sorry, my error. The tacho was originally connected to coil positive, and is now required to be connected to coil negative. ECU outputs were tested as above: 5V at each of pins 12 and 24 with ignition on, which drops to 1.6V at pin 12 and negligible at pin 24 when cranking - both to battery earth strap.

Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

DaveEFI wrote:Thanks for the pics. Nothing obvious there.

But the coil must get +12v from somewhere. What make/model is the ignition amp module? If I can find details of it might help me understand it.

I have seen revcounters connected to the coil positive. There will still be a pulse present there - but not as large as at the negative.
Intermotor 15000. Maybe not the greatest quality, but I've tried 2 new ones, as well as the original. Agreed, baffled by the lack of 12V feed to either coil or amp.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Number 7 wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:A tacho should receive a trigger from the -ve ie trigger side of the coil...you stated it was supplied from the 12v side ?

Sorry, my error. The tacho was originally connected to coil positive, and is now required to be connected to coil negative. ECU outputs were tested as above: 5V at each of pins 12 and 24 with ignition on, which drops to 1.6V at pin 12 and negligible at pin 24 when cranking - both to battery earth strap.
And again, looking at the wiring diagram and the fact there are 2 wires leaving the ecu to the amp...the test should probably be conducted between those two wires.
But it is always worth testing to ground too.

So you're saying it's 5v engine not rotating ?

1.6v with the engine rotating ? measured how ? a multimeter on volts will not give an accurate picture although the fact the voltage has changed would indicate something is happening.

When you stop cranking again does this revert to 5v ?

IF...if that is what you're saying, then it sounds like the ecu is fine. But a better test would be dwell, pulse width, frequency..or a scope trace to prove without question what is happening. Although even an LED between the two terminals should show if it is pulsing correctly.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

This guy does loads of videos.....find one that seems relevant to you for proper tests.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

Ok, the Intermotor 15000 amp connections (on my car) are as follows:

pin 1 to coil negative
pin 2 to battery negative via heatsink
pin 3 to ECU pin 24
pin 4 to coil positive
pin 6 to ECU pin 12

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Notice you have one of those horrid pre-insulated crimps to the coil positive. Could the 12v feed have pulled out of that?

I'll repeat. It ain't going to work without 12v.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Number 7

Post by Number 7 »

stevieturbo wrote:
Number 7 wrote:

And again, looking at the wiring diagram and the fact there are 2 wires leaving the ecu to the amp...the test should probably be conducted between those two wires.
But it is always worth testing to ground too.

So you're saying it's 5v engine not rotating ? Yes, but only with the multiplug not connected to the amp

1.6v with the engine rotating ? measured how ? a multimeter on volts will not give an accurate picture although the fact the voltage has changed would indicate something is happening. Yes, 1.6V from ECU pin 12 when cranking with amp multiplug in, using a digital multimeter from . Negligible output from ECU pin 24 when cranking.

When you stop cranking again does this revert to 5v ? No, mutiplug connected at amp this stays at 1.6V from ECU pin 12, negligible from ECU pin 24.

IF...if that is what you're saying, then it sounds like the ecu is fine. But a better test would be dwell, pulse width, frequency..or a scope trace to prove without question what is happening. Although even an LED between the two terminals should show if it is pulsing correctly. Will try to test dwell.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

For testing the ecu side...do not plug any wires into the amp, it could skew any readings.

And pin 24 is simply a reference ground, you should be using this for testing the other pin.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”