oil leaking from distributor

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

pawmaro

oil leaking from distributor

Post by pawmaro »

I have replaced my dizzy with a powerspark only to now have a oil leak from the vent holes on underside of body. They sent me another one and its the same. The original dose not leak ???

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I would first investigate why the oil is being pushed out, it sounds like the crank case is being pressurised, I suspect the old dissy was leaking enough crank case gas past the bearings so as not to allow things to pressurise enough to force the oil past the oil seal. look at the breathing system first and check it is all working. If that all checks out ok have a look at blow by from the pistons.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

pawmaro

Post by pawmaro »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
I would first investigate why the oil is being pushed out, it sounds like the crank case is being pressurised, I suspect the old dissy was leaking enough crank case gas past the bearings so as not to allow things to pressurise enough to force the oil past the oil seal. look at the breathing system first and check it is all working. If that all checks out ok have a look at blow by from the pistons.
best regards
Mike
Yes I thought that but I can run it with the oil filler off and still same its not presurising and has only done 30k its wierd.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Lots of reports about these Lucas copies not being well made. Is there any sideways movement on the main shaft? There aren't any seals as such on the Lucas ones.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Does it have the hole in the body just up from the gear?
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

pawmaro

Post by pawmaro »

Darkspeed wrote:Does it have the hole in the body just up from the gear?
Yes it does and its not blocked. I suspect quality of the dizzy

pawmaro

Post by pawmaro »

DaveEFI wrote:Lots of reports about these Lucas copies not being well made. Is there any sideways movement on the main shaft? There aren't any seals as such on the Lucas ones.
It all appears fine but when I stripped it to see if there was a seal it doesnt look very good quality especially the wieght shaft and turning marks in the bearing.

pawmaro

Lucas

Post by pawmaro »

Fitted OEM lucas Dizzy oil leak cured reckon the powerspark dizzys made in China or India You get what you pay for I guess

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”