Megasquirt and lambda question

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Megasquirt and lambda question

Post by sowen »

I've got myself a MS2 kit from ExtraEFI for my SD1

I also have an AEM wideband lambda sensor fitted to one of my other cars which I think is suitable to work with the Megasquirt.

Question is, how well does a single lambda work on a V8 with two downpipes? I have the standard front section of exhaust on my SD1 V8, which is 4-2 cast manifolds, then 2-1 downpipes either side before the collector. I know the Land Rover's had a pair of narrowband Lambda's a bit further back after the last collector on the downpipes so that would be the obvious place to put my one. Is it a good idea to fit a bungs into each side to swap the probe over just to check both sides are running the same?

I've read on someone who's done a number of Megasquirt conversions in the past who's fitted the ecu but only run the ignition side of it using the Megasquirt to datalog the existing fuel system with a wideband lambda before going full MS. Once the tuning is done, is the wideband lambda necessary or adviseable to keep, is it worth swapping in a pair of narrowband sensors or is that a stupid idea which simply won't work or offers no benefits?

Any other advice for a newbie to full engine management? I've had Megajolt in he past so have a basic grasp of how to make things difficult for myself! I've started reading the manuals supplied with the kit and it kinda makes sense without actually having the stuff powered up infront of me, just wondering on some of the specific aspects of fitting MS to a RV8 using a hotwire manifold :)

1972 Rover 2000TC M16 turbo
1975 Land Rover OM606 diesel
1984 Rover SD1 3500 Megasquirt powered

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

A narrow band O2 sensor is only of much use if you intend running at stoichiometric.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Knock Tec ? is that for knock detection ? if so how much and from where ?
So thats where it went !

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

In theory if the wideband can help define the fuel map, then running on the fuel map should in theory match the lambda readings, in theory. If that theory is reasonable, then there would be no need to go narrowband, and I could remove the lambda kit altogether. Not having any practical experience on this I really don't know...

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

JSF55 wrote:Knock Tec ? is that for knock detection ? if so how much and from where ?
It came from here via ExtraEFI

http://www.ms2tuning.com/products.html

The P38 block I have has a pair of knock sensors fitted, after my previous attempt with forced induction on a 4 pot, I want to have some proper knock detection rather than listening with my ears![/url]

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Thanks for that, been looking at more expensive kits, but hopefully I can tie that into my megajolt
So thats where it went !

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

Found my earlier attempt at fitting an O2 sensor, if I had read the instructions first I would have rotated it further up and saved killing sensors. This is for my Inovate MTX I run for tuning I found it worked fine
ImagePicture 001 by jsf55 pics, on Flickr
So thats where it went !

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I'm sure on reading the instructions they are meant to be sat a certain distance from the engine, but if fitting at the y-piece under the exhaust works then that could work well for ease of installation. The downpipes need to come off to sort out a blow so may have a chance tomorrow if all goes well :)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

MS allows you to compensate for the distance the sensor is from the engine. Obviously in an ideal world, the distance from each exhaust valve to the sensor would be constant. But few things are ideal. :D
By doing a log, you can work out how long the sensor takes to show a change in the mixture. Although measuring the distance gives a good starting point.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I think the SD1 standard exhaust should be fairly equal, so if that's the case then I'll try and weld a bung into the y-piece and make a start datalogging the existing setup. That would leave re-mounting the coilpacks and routing the wiring for the EDIS to them, and routing the EDIS back to the dashboard where I'll mount the MS ecu.

For the purposes of getting some baseline readings, I guess I only need to start by connecting a manifold pressure source and lambda to the MS ecu, which with the crankshaft trigger will be enough to run the EDIS and give a fairly definitive view of what's going on in the normal driving environment :)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

My wideband sensor is mounted after the pipes join, and the cable routed upwards through the transmission tunnel under the ashtray - then routed along inside the tunnel consul to its ECU. I made a plate to replace the original Lucas ECU and there's room there for the MS, O2 ECU and knock sensor ECU.

Do be careful positioning the sensor as the seat mountings can foul it - if you're as unlucky as me. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I've been there before, welded stuff in place only to find fitting/removal is impossible without drastic disassembly!

So simply fitting a single sensor at the y-piece shouldn't cause any issues and is a sensible option :D

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

With injection, there's no real reason why one bank should be different to the other. But ideally, you'd have one sensor per cylinder. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

sowen
Getting There
Getting There

Post by sowen »

I used to work on Cessna 182 light aircraft, the latest ones had CHT and EGT for each of the six cylinders, great for making people paranoid of the different readings each one was giving!

Baracus
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Baracus »

I left my wideband in situ on the TVR because;

A) you can have the megasquirt run in closed loop mode under cruising conditions, always trimming to your target value which is good for economy.

B) i'm never done tuning the god damn thing due to cam swaps, big valve heads etc, the hunt for more power never ends!

I welded a bung into both down pipes but only tune on one, then do a quick swap of the sensor to the other bank for a quick check to see if AFRs are in the same ballpark.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”