Comms help

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Comms help

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
I have an MSD 7 al (7530T) the digital version. I have a problem, it has stopped talking to my PC (s) which is more than a little annoying. originally it was fine, after a little mucking about it it took the original map and settings fine, I have come back some weeks later to try some tweaks and it won't talk to my laptop. tried a new USB to 232 adapter, no better, the lap top recognizes the right com port and will do a loop back test but no talking to the MSD. tried a new lap top, again no joy with either adapter but again the loop back is ok . . . The MSD when powered up flashes twice on it's happy light to say it does not have a cam sensor which is what I expect. able has buzzed out ok I am at a loss to know what to do now any ideas folks?? I do not want to go magneto It is not a lawnmower!!
Best regards
Mike

poppet valves rule!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Mike,

Have you got anything else you could try and talk to with the Laptop and USB cable.

I have a new USB to rs232 adaptor that I bought to talk to my Emerald ECU which works so could run that over for you to try if that would help.

Can bring my PC as well if you want - can run over later if you would like to try today

regards
Reg

edit. Have you got the baud rate and flow control set correctly

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

They do seem to be iffy, these USB to serial adaptors. Have you checked for the latest driver? I always use a desktop in the workshop with a proper serial port to first check an MS - would that be possible with your MSD unit?

Other thing to try is a combination of which is powered up first - the laptop or the MSD, and whether you 'hot' plug the adaptor.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Hi Mike,
I had similar problems getting an MSD 7 to talk to my current laptop using various USB adapters. (They worked sometimes)
I also have an old laptop with a 9 pin serial connector and this worked fine so I knew it was not the MSD unit causing the problem.

I got a NIKKAI USB adapter and this worked fine.
If memory serves me correct I got it from Maplins.

I will be selling the Msd 7 (Had Little use) unit soon if you know of any one in need. I've gone Megajolt now.

Regards Denis
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Thanks Reg. As always you're a darling. Maybe we could meet up one night this week. What version of Windows are you running?

Yes, I'm sure it is the usb adapter. I was hoping it was just settings, but i have changed baud etc and it has made no difference. MSD info is dire, it just assumes that the only problem you will have is that the driver doesn't install correctly. There is nothing that i can find relating to what MSD want, so I am running 9600, 8bit, no parity, 1 stop.

I have got two adapters; one prolific and one whc chipset, and if they are connected to an old RS232 tester they react differently, which tells me something. I just don't know what.

I was thinking I might try a FTDI chipset adapter next, as they are supposed to be more reliable with the 64-bit operating systems.

Mike (pp Karen :) )
poppet valves rule!

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Not much help but MSD should get past 1999 and fit a USB port on their ignition systems, nobody uses 9 pin anymore! :roll:

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
please don't think I really understand one word of the above post, but I would be very grateful for any replies that help the IT department (Karen).
Denis, Which Digital7? how much do you want for it when you swap over? I would be very interested in it as a spare, I don't want to be without an ignition!
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Mr sidecar
funnily enough If you were standing around here today you would have heard very similar sentiments expressed. . .and if you go onto a very large number of web sites you would find many others who agree! :shock:
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Hi Mike, ime using windows 7.

Could pop over tomorrow if that works with you

Have you seen this post >> https://www.msdignition.com/forum/showt ... hp?t=15248

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Reg
yes please if you can spare the time, however we do not get in until 7:30pm, it would be good to see you then if you can make it.
I am about to read that post, though I don't leave the adapter plugged in just the 9 pin lead.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi Reg
yes please if you can spare the time, however we do not get in until 7:30pm, it would be good to see you then if you can make it.
I am about to read that post, though I don't leave the adapter plugged in just the 9 pin lead.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

sidecar wrote:Not much help but MSD should get past 1999 and fit a USB port on their ignition systems, nobody uses 9 pin anymore! :roll:
That's not actually true. RS 232 is still extensively used for machinery control etc as it's a far more robust protocol than USB. What has happened is it has disappeared from cheap laptops. You'll still find it at the expensive end.

Also many devices such as these which have a USB port have merely an internal converter. Which can suffer from the same problems of not working with every variety of OS likely because the correct driver isn't available.

I'd ask the maker what USB to RS232 adaptor they recommend with a particular OS. They are not all the same.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

the only serial to USB converter I would trust is fitted with the FTDI chipset 8-) Prolific are OK but can be flaky and I would not use anything else frankly, I only trust serial to serial to flash firmware etc 8) i.e my workstation or via laptop card-bus (serial PCMCIA) :o no 3rd party drivers necessary.
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

This is the one I use and as suppied by Emerald to communicate to their ECU

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/528 ... 1-b10.html

Will bring it over this evening for you

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

r2d2hp wrote:This is the one I use and as suppied by Emerald to communicate to their ECU

http://www.easysync-ltd.com/product/528 ... 1-b10.html

Will bring it over this evening for you
Thats an FTDI based one and if its good enough for use with their product and at that price is a no brainer IMO :D good find.
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”