Megajolt and Gems coilpack

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Megajolt and Gems coilpack

Post by DEVONMAN »

I have an RV8 running on EDIS/ Megajolt /2 ford type Coilpacks.

On a second similar project I want to use the rover Gems type coilpack which has 4 pairs of coils on a straight bracket.

The internal resistance is very similar to the Ford Coils so is there any reason why I can't use the Gems coil pack other than the fact that the connections are less waterproof.

Thanks Denis

1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

No idea. But let us know if it works!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Pretty sure MJ must use EDIS coil's

And as that's a Ford thing, I doubt the GEMS would be compatible unless a separate EDIS amplifier exists.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Thank you for the comments.
I will give it a try and let you know if it works.

The project itself is a twin turbo RV8 4.6 in a ford Sierra which is currently running with an early oil pump and dizzy and Holley injection. We are upgrading to EDIS/wasted spark/Megajolt using a Gems non dizzy front cover to get space for a better rad/intercooler. This needs a different sump modified to clear the cross member and the alternator also need to be relocated as it's way too high to clear the Sierra bonnet. It will be a few weeks yet before we get it up and running again as we are also fitting hydraulics to operate the clutch instead if the standard cable.

The Gems is a wasted spark system and has 4 signal inputs to the coils just like in the twin ford coil pack arrangement so I'm hoping it will work.

The Gems coil pack is long and thin compared to the ford square shaped items and will be much neater when fixed to the bulkhead as space is limited in the front to back direction but there is plenty of left to right space.

Regards
Denis
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would definitely try it. Although not that useful, EDIS works just fine with the later Thor coil packs.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The EDIS module looks after the dwell, etc, and if the coils ain't identical, it may not be ideal. I doubt you'll damage the EDIS module, though, so worth a try.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Given the various comments received, I will bench test the set up before I waste time mounting the Gems coil pack in the car.
Given the need to run in a new camshaft, I need it to be running right at the first fire up.

Thanks
Denis

Cobratone
Is a Spanner

Post by Cobratone »

I changed from Ford coilpacks to Bosch coilpacks with EDIS 8 with no problems at all. HTH

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Someone on the MS forums did just this and had reported no problems but I would carry a spare EDIS 8 module just in case you damage one of the 4 internal EDIS spark drivers 8) IMO
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

SimpleSimon wrote:Someone on the MS forums did just this and had reported no problems but I would carry a spare EDIS 8 module just in case you damage one of the 4 internal EDIS spark drivers 8) IMO
Thanks for that info.
As you suggest, I will carry a spare EDIS. However, I will be putting an MSD Dis-4 unit between the EDIS and the coils so the EDIS will not see great loads. If the DIS-4 packs up then I will need to run home on the EDIS alone using a bypass plug.

Regards Denis

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Then you have all bases covered by the looks, the EDIS 8 can do multiple spark discharge (MSD) at low RPM with the right SAW input signal anyway 8-) knowing how robust EDIS modules are I reckon you will have no need for that spare but worth keeping on board anyways :wink:
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Just an update.

Gems coil pack and EDIS and Megajolt now all up and running fine.

I have an MSD Dis-4 box in the circuit but will test it without this box in due course.

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards Denis

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”