How to get temp gauge working

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

fenton

How to get temp gauge working

Post by fenton »

Hi guy s
Hope somebody can help just put a v8 hot wire in my comp safari racer that previously had 3.5 car and was wired to range rover classic gauges.
How can I get the temp gauge to work as the injection system uses the temp sender unit

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: How to get temp gauge working

Post by stevieturbo »

fenton wrote:Hi guy s
Hope somebody can help just put a v8 hot wire in my comp safari racer that previously had 3.5 car and was wired to range rover classic gauges.
How can I get the temp gauge to work as the injection system uses the temp sender unit
Screw the old sensor in somewhere and just use it as it was originally. Most likely it will just be a single wire direct to the gauge itself.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

fenton

Post by fenton »

I have the wire that goes to it but not the original sender on the land rover forums they are saying it's a different thread

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

IIRC, the hotwire manifold changed over the years. Is yours the later one where the gauge sensor (two wire green, metric thread) is in the elbow where the thermostat was on earlier ones? The ECU coolant sensor (two wire brown) is on the left side of the manifold at the front. Coolant gauge sensors can be a bit of a nightmare - even although they fit the hole, there seem to be lots of different electrical specs.

If you have a earlier one wire sensor that works with your gauge, if might be easier in the long run to fit an earlier manifold which has fittings for both the ECU one and older temp sensor. But the heater plumbing is different.

It would also be possible to make an electronic adaptor box to use any gauge with any sensor. Someone may already do so.

Basically, good luck. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

fenton wrote:I have the wire that goes to it but not the original sender on the land rover forums they are saying it's a different thread
Then get an original sender and screw it into the waterways somewhere suitable.

Drill, tap, whatever.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”