Ecu comparability

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Ecu comparability

Post by paulsv8manta »

Hi guys, can some one just clarify something for me. I'm currently building a 3.5 vittesse EFI which came with a Lucas 14 cu ecu, can I use a land rover discovery 3.9 v8 engine ecu which is a lucas 14 cux unit?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I am pretty sure you can't. One (the CU) is for the flapper type injection (AFM is a moving flap), as fitted to SD1's. The 3.9 Disco ECU is for the hotwire type injection (AFM is a hot wire in the airstream).

They are totally different.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

paulsv8manta
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by paulsv8manta »

Hi Chris, so if I up grade to the hot wire AFM that is all I need to do to use the 3.9 14cux ecu?

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

I think the injectors are different as well they are high impedance on the hot wire system and low impedance on the flapper system, there are I am sure some other things that are not campatible as well, if you want to use a hot wire injection system then probably best to get a used system second hand and transpose the bits you need.
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

Spongo wrote:I think the injectors are different as well they are high impedance on the hot wire system and low impedance on the flapper system, there are I am sure some other things that are not campatible as well, if you want to use a hot wire injection system then probably best to get a used system second hand and transpose the bits you need.
This. Flapper and Hotwire are not compatible, well some bits are but it's generally a headache unless you know exactly what to change. Easiest option is complete swap.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”