Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

GDCobra
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Re: Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:36 am
Can you fit it in the same place as the 14CU? At least then you'll know it is a suitable environment.
The 14CUX is mounted in the car with trunking passing through firewall using the rubber "grommet" which is integral with the loom. I have considered doing similar with the Nodiz as it's a better environment however this would mean the cabels being longer than necassary and I'm particularly concerned about the VR-CPS cable as the advice is to keep this as short as possible and away from sources of EMI, not ideal to route alongside feeds to coil-pack.

Every solution has pro's but also con's. I'm currently leading towards the idea of mounting near but inside a project box, this seems to give best balance of wire runs and environment (due to the box)

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

If you used a decent twin screen cable for the VR sensor, you should be OK. A decent source for that would be a good music shop etc - balanced mic cable. A decent spec of that should be strong, flexible and have excellent screening - a TV studio and stage etc has lights fed from dimmers that can produce a fair bit of RFI.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:48 pm
If you used a decent twin screen cable for the VR sensor, you should be OK. A decent source for that would be a good music shop etc - balanced mic cable. A decent spec of that should be strong, flexible and have excellent screening - a TV studio and stage etc has lights fed from dimmers that can produce a fair bit of RFI.
I suspect you are correct and I may go that way yet although I have other reasons for not wanting to go through the firewall (in fact I’d prefer to mount the unit to the chassis rather than body so it does not have to be disturb it when I separate body and chassis so that is also a factor, bit of time yet for making decisions.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”