Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Re: Distributorless ignition using GEMS coils and Hotwire system

Post by stevieturbo »

GDCobra wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:45 pm
stevieturbo wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:45 pm
And the Nodiz claims it can fire both inductive and IGBT type coils ? So it can fire 8 LS coils just wired in a waste spark style. Just means it will be neater than using a pair of 4 tower coils.
Could be handy to have that available. Means I could set up initially with my GEMS coils, if I want to have a play and look into LS coils I could do and then if I wanted to go further and fire individually (not wasted spark) then I could look at new ECU and sort out a cam position sensor.
I don't really see the Cam-PS as problem, I'm going to be chopping down an old dizzy to act as an oil pump drive, don't think would be too much of a problem doing in such a way that I can add a trigger to it. My understanding is that the Cam-PS is used in addition to Crank-PS and used to indicate phase so doesn't even need to be so accurate, the actual timing still coming from the crank.
All correct...but as most electronic ignition dizzys already have all the parts you need inside for a cam trigger....not chopping it down so much makes it even easier.
Most would just want you to shave off all but one of the trigger teeth inside it, and job's done really.

In reality though, for an application like this, firing them sequentially vs "wasted" will make zero difference whatsover.

With both the RV8 and LS, I ran mine as a "wasted" style for about 12 years, as I just never bothered setting up a cam sensor.

9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Thing with using the existing trigger in your distributor to obtain the cam signal is making the finished thing look ok. Fine if you're happy with a dizzy with no plug leads etc.
What can look neater is to strip the dizzy down, discarding everything except the main shaft and body. Turn the base plate for the advance mechanism (connected to the main shaft) into a single tooth or notch. And fit a hall sensor to read that. Cut down the body, and fit a flat plate as a cover.
Last edited by DaveEFI on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

GDCobra
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by GDCobra »

DaveEFI wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:49 am
Thing with using the existing trigger in your distributor to obtain the cam signal is making the finished thing look ok. Fine if you're happy with a dizzy with no plug leads etc.
What can look neater is to strip the dizzy down, removing everything except the main shaft. Turn the base plate for the advance mechanism (connected to the main shaft) into a single tooth or notch. And fit a hall sensor to read that. Cut down the body, and fit a flat plate as a cover.
I agree, one of the main reasons for going to individual coils n the first place is to tidy things up so a backward move to leave a redundant distributor in there and definitely can be done better

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

And easiest way to do that, is with no cam trigger lol. It simply is not needed for what is intended.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:54 pm
And easiest way to do that, is with no cam trigger lol. It simply is not needed for what is intended.
But you still need something to drive the oil pump. You can of course make a stumpy, but not a lot more work to make a cam sensor instead, and future proof things.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”