JT Boots

General Chat About Electrics, And Ignition Systems.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

JT Boots

Post by richardpope50 »

The boots for my fuel njectors have all started to perish so need replacing. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to remove the (two) wires from the connector so I can pull off the wires with terminals to replace the boots.

I did not really want to replace the connector and cut and re-solder / crimp the wires to the terminals but guess I may have to.

Can you use a tweeker?

Thanks.

Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: JT Boots

Post by DaveEFI »

You need to push the tang back that locks the terminal in place. A jeweller's screwdriver will do it. There is a slot next to the terminal one in the housing to give access to that tang. Or IIRC, Vehicle Wiring Products have a tool for this purpose which has a selection of different sized blades.
Incidentally, the connector design changed during the life of the Lucas EFI. The earlier one breaks easily - the later is far more robust, with a better latch. Old was AMP Junior Timer later Power Timer. Brands Hatch Performance usually have all the colours in stock at good prices.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Thanks Dave. I have a jeweller's screwdrive as well as a few home made tweekers so will try that but from memory the access slot is tiny and did not managed to do it the first time I tried. I have also just looked and mine are JTs, not JPTs so will change.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

The tool I use for that is one from VWP. It has a rectangular shaped bit an exact fit to the slot in the housing. But even that doesn't always work easily. I looked for it on their site now, but couldn't find it. You could grind down a drill bit - perhaps start with a wood one which aren't so brittle?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Depends on the terminal, some have a single lock and others double.

Singles are usually pretty easy to release, the doubles are trickier without the correct tool

With the correct tool...they're a doddle, but the tool is pricey. If you do a lot of such work, it really is worth buying.

Either way, they will come apart fairly easily.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

This is the set I have. It includes one which works with the Timer series of connectors.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/p ... action-set

But a bit like crimp tools. There's always a terminal you don't have the correct one for. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Hmm. Tried for some time yesterday with various poking bits and failed. Since tools are reasonably expensive for a once off use (I hope) I may as well buy new connectors as well as boots and if needs be, extend the wires. Always a hassle.

Thanks.
Richard.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

post a picture of your specific connector, then it will be easier to advise of release method.

There should only be a couple of types...but you never know. It might be some strange setup.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It's a Tyco AMP Timer series. Standard for a Bosch EVI injector. There's only one tang on the terminal - but like all never as easy to push back as in theory. I've done lots - some are easy, some ain't. Dunno why.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

DaveEFI wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:41 pm
It's a Tyco AMP Timer series. Standard for a Bosch EVI injector. There's only one tang on the terminal - but like all never as easy to push back as in theory. I've done lots - some are easy, some ain't. Dunno why.
And I have same terminals on mine with 2 tangs... There are at least 2 different types, and some with tangs on top...and others on the sides which is weird ( relative to pin orientation )

This is the tool I bought for mine....price has near doubled though !! lol That's with the double latches JPT pins. Single latch any simple tool is easy enough to use.

https://uk.farnell.com/amp-te-connectiv ... ion%20tool
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Gosh, that's expensive.

Engine's all covered up at the moment so cannot do it now but will post a picture when I get back after 10 days away.

My JTs have one slot either side of the terminal and ther are not the JT Power versions.

(I may buy Dave's suggestion in hindsight as it may / should work for other connectors even if it does not work in this case. Could be better than the various home made attempts I have so far.)

Thanks.
Richard.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I bought a set of terminal removers some time ago off Ebay similar to this:-

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/302975736469

Mainly because it includes the correct size tube ones for the TTS connectors on the SD1. It has several double types so may include the one show from CPC. But I've never come across those on the Timer connectors - and it doesn't include the rectangular one from VWP I've found generally does work with them.

It's a total minefield. :D
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

The cheap kits like above, and the Durite tools should have something to get you sorted.

With the right tool...it really will be easy. Without and using all sorts of improvised tools...it can just be a nightmare.

With the tool I have in the housings, the terminals almost just fall out...really is so easy. Without them, trying paperclips or all sort of other probes, trying to get two in at once....not a bloody hope ! lol.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

stevieturbo wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 pm
With the right tool...it really will be easy.
Yes but as Dave said it is difficult to find the corret tool for JTs and those that fit seem very expensive. Have to say I'm tempted with Dave's suggested kit but now I only occasionally need such tools. Mind you, still tempted for £32.
Richard.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Dam it. Been tempted so will see!
Richard.

Return to “Electrical & Ignition Area”