ford cosworth T5 - 5th gear problem

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

ford cosworth T5 - 5th gear problem

Post by Seight-V8 »

Hello all,

Anyone had a problem with a Cosworth T5 gearbox, where it wont engage 5th gear?.....

All the others are selectable, but 5th seems to only slightly engage and wont go fully into gear.

Baring in mind its a new rebuild from a T5 gearbox company, and has not been driven yet.

Maybe the gearbox oil hasn't circulated enough yet, as the whole gearbox feels notchy when selecting gear, once the engine is running it might feel better?

cheers

scott

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Re: ford cosworth T5 - 5th gear problem

Post by DEVONMAN »

The 5th Gear has a separate selector rail (which also selects reverse). This rail slides back and forth in pockets in the front and rear of the gearbox casing and any burrs on the rail can make the movement stiff. Once the oil gets about it should improve if that is the problem. Or it may be that the 5th syncro ring is sticking due to long storage and isn't lining up so try moving the prop a few turns backwards and forwards.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

thanks, I've been out around the block for a short drive today.

I've used 1st to 3rd gear anyway and reverse.

5th does now seem to engage further, but i cant actually tell till i can get enough speed up on the road.

Maybe like you said just needs running in, after 3 years dry and after recond.

regards

scott

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Don't suppose a piece of plastic has fallen off in the selector / gear lever box? Just removethe plate and have a look to check.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The top plate cannot be removed until the rear housing is removed which would mean gearbox removal from the car. Also the plastic bits on the selectors are not involved in the 5th gear selector rod shifting/movement.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

DEVONMAN wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:51 pm
The top plate cannot be removed until the rear housing is removed which would mean gearbox removal from the car. Also the plastic bits on the selectors are not involved in the 5th gear selector rod shifting/movement.
To clarify as this actually happend to me. Remove the gear lever by removing the four bolts and its holding plate. Remove gear lever and the nylon sphere thingy has an offset hole in it. Turn it 180 degrees and replace. You will now get 5th and reverse as the offset hole will allow the gear lever to move across to select them.

An easy mistake when putting the gearlever back.
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the plastic selector bits that are inside the actual gearbox on the selector forks.

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

DEVONMAN wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:09 am
Sorry, I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the plastic selector bits that are inside the actual gearbox on the selector forks.
My mistake in explanation.

I definately had this problem and was simple to fix. I think it was an offset hole in the nylon sphere or something else I put in wrong.
Richard.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Hopefully we will find out if this was the problem.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”