4.6 rover v8 mated to r380 clutch issue

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

V8dax2017

4.6 rover v8 mated to r380 clutch issue

Post by V8dax2017 »

Good Morning all, I have just registered and wondering if you guys can shed some light, I have just finished changing the clutch on my 4.6 rover v8 mated to r380 in my Dax rush and cannot get the clutch to disengage. The bell housing has a hole in the bottom so I can see the fingers moving on the helix cover plate and can even see a very small amount of pressure taken of the friction plate but clearly not enough to allow slip. The slave is fully bled and the fingers appear to be moving a fair bit so I'm now completely lost as to what to check next. The fingers feel on the pedel like they are reacjing the end of travel but im not sure, It's almost like the friction plate is too thick for the cover. The pair were sent by Rpi so I'm hoping they are right. Part numbers are helix 602503 cover and ap racing cp2346-4. I have a short video of it but not sure how to upload to here.
Any help much appreciated.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 4.6 rover v8 mated to r380 clutch issue

Post by Coops »

This a new build?
Or did the clutch work. Before fitting the new one?
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Try spacing the slave away from the bellhousing,just a couple of washers under each bolt,

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Is the friction plate the correct way around/

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

garrycol wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:09 pm
Is the friction plate the correct way around/
Don't think it's possible to fit plate wrong way around, I mounted my clutch just yesterday and putting it in the wrong way wouldn't allow the plate to go anywhere near the flywheel face.

Either:
The release bearing isnt moving far enough to disengage the clutch (could be friction plate too thick - should be about 7mm new IIRC)
The friction plate is sticking to the flywheel or the pressure plate.
The gearbox input shaft is too long and clamping against the rear of the crank

4.6 in a Rush must go like stink!

V8dax2017

Post by V8dax2017 »

Afternoon all thanks for replies, as said the friction plate can't go in the wrong way as won't physically fit, the box and engine were mated before with old clutch no probs and not shimmed or anything so I'm thinking the shaft length between engine and box hasn't changed. I'm just so confused with what to check next, I know the friction plate fitted is 8.38 mm thick as it stated on the box. I have a video showing operation but not sure how to post it on here

Thank you Sam

V8dax2017

Post by V8dax2017 »

Video of said Clutch, you can actually see it taking pressure off friction plate but surely not enough?? Thanks for fast replies it's driving me mad

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

The release bearing should move about 10mm.
I would bleed again and check for air in the system.
Are you confident that the slippers on the clutch arm are still in place.

Try starting in gear with foot hard on the brakes and clutch pedal down and see if the engine will turn over. This may settle the plate on the splines etc.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

V8dax2017

Post by V8dax2017 »

Update I have found out why the clutch isn't disengaging, this new coverplate must sit lower than the old meaning the bottom half of the fork is closer to the bell housing casting when the release bearing is against springs and upon application is actually stopping the fork fully actuating, question is have other had to modify/trim bell housing slightly or is this cover plate simply not useable?
Many thanks

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

So if you had a taller pivot point for the fork would it improve the distance the release bearing moves forwards? Are you saying that the clutch assembly is thinner than the old one?
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

V8dax2017

Post by V8dax2017 »

Evening Devonman, the plate isn't thinner but the new clutch cover is a helix unit with flatter springs so doesn't sit as high. I haven't really thought about adjusting the pivot ball, I'm guessing these are adjustable??

Thanks Sam

GDCobra
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by GDCobra »

Looks like you have flat release fingers and flat faced bearing. Is that wise? Thought one side or other usually has a radius.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

V8dax2017 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:37 pm
Evening Devonman, the plate isn't thinner but the new clutch cover is a helix unit with flatter springs so doesn't sit as high. I haven't really thought about adjusting the pivot ball, I'm guessing these are adjustable??

Thanks Sam
You could put a thick washer under it to raise it slightly.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Just out of interest, did RPI supply the release bearing and the fork and did they advise on the type of release bearing you should use with the Helix clutch?
It's not unheard of for an aftermarket cheap fork to bend under load or even allow the pivot ball to push through.

V8dax2017

Post by V8dax2017 »

No v8 developments supplied release bearing and said it needed to be a cone type to goagaint that plate on my clutch fingers, as for the fork it's the reinforced welded up one that looks pretty much brand new.
Thanks Sam

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”