T56 to RV8 conversion.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: T56 to RV8 conversion.

Post by Mark »

I didn't check before getting the club hammer out, so don't know what the clearance was like to start with :oops:

Heater unit needed a wiggle to remove after though!

One thing the bear in mind is how the cross member drop might affect bump steer and roll centre with different TCA and track rod angles, you could mitigate any changes if you could find some 3 door Cosworth front hubs but they are hard to get hold of and attract Cosworth tax...

302 V8 Sierra 5 door sleeper under way

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Because the rack moves down with the cross member there will be no effective change to steering geometry as it will be no different to riding lower due to a full tank and 5 passengers.
Never been on a dyno but fully loaded on road tyres it did high 12's at Northweald.
The car was featured in Street Machine in OCT 2017 if you have a copy.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Will look out for a copy of street machine.

I imagine grip on the start line is a bit of an issue with a twin turbo 5 litre!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Yes, Northweald is not the best surface to launch from.

Yesterday I sorted out the gearbox support. I used a sierra
IMG_4638.JPG
4x4 steel mount and spaced it down from the standard floor floor slots with aluminium blocks. I made new inserts with longer bolts to slot into the rearmost factory floor slots. As the gearbox mounting surface is at an angle I bolted a tapered ali block to it to get things level and inserted a standard 4x4 mount rubber into that. The plan is to probably get a poly mount which will be more compact and neater. The 4x4 cradle needed a bit of grinding out in places and local restrengthening to clear the gearbox casing but only because I needed it to be as far forward as possible to minimise re-positioning work on the exhaust. In hind sight shifting the exhaust boxes rearwards would have been easier.
IMG_4641.JPG
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Engine and T56 now going back in and a few hours left now to get everything back on it. Roll on Monday. We previously modified the clutch to hydraulic operation so a slave cylinder has been grafted onto the gearbox to push the clutch arm forwards.
[attachment
=2]IMG_4661.JPG[/attachment]
IMG_4661.JPG
IMG_4666.JPG
Attachments
IMG_4687.JPG

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Job done. Engine and t56 in place and working fine. The shortened prop seems ok but we will get it balanced just to be sure.
IMG_4699.JPG

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Did you fit a weaker spring to the reverse lock out or are you using a speed sensor of some sort to work the solenoid ?

Looking good, I wish I worked as fast as you !

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

For the reverse lock out we just used a push button attached to the gear lever inside the gaitor to momentarily operate the solenoid. Looking for a nice push button gear knob at the moment.
I'm very envious of the quality of the work in your project. It's brilliant. At 72 years I have to get a move on and concentrate on practicalities rather than the terrific cosmetic finish that you are achieving.

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

Thank you Devonman for posting,really enjoy reading your posts 👍

Mark
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Mark »

Blown v8 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:10 pm
Thank you Devonman for posting,really enjoy reading your posts 👍
Me too 8-)

What did you do about the old mechanical speedo?

I have not sorted this part of mine yet and it's taken me 8 years to get this far :oops:

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

We have swapped in an electronic speedo (Autometer) which is driven by a Sat Nav box. No good in tunnels lol.

BUT, now that the T56 is installed, we could drive the speedo from the sender on the T56 which is how things are with the T56 in my Hotrod.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If your speedo is cable, Abbot X do these. Dakota digital might also...I'm sure there are a couple of places who do them

http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm

They're a little awkward though. I used one for a while until I caged the car...and the bloody dash bar ended up slap bang in the middle of the speedo cable lol

Switched to electronic clocks and dumped the mechanical at that point
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

I took the propshaft to Bailey Morris for balancing and they found that the new t56 yoke was manufactured 60 thou off centre and 20 thou loose on the joint and therefore couldn't be balanced. They are not wrong. Checked it myself and the circlip grooves are machined off centre. The yoke was bought from Southwest Speed in the USA and they refuse to accept that one of their yokes is not 100% good. I'm currently waiting for a new yoke from another supplier.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”