Release bearing on T5

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Release bearing on T5

Post by Dixie6789 »

I have a rounded metal release bearing (not flat). It is mated to a curved fingered pressure plate. Ian at RPI said it should be OK and no reason why it won't work,but it is usual to use a flat faced item.

Has anyone used this set up before? I test drove the Cob today and the clutch won't release fully. I. May need to alter the travel of the clutch fork, (spacer). But just wanted to know general feelings first.

I was struggling finding a flat faced release bearing for my T5, so after some advice used the rounded one?

Thanks Mark.

Mark

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Re: Release bearing on T5

Post by Seight-V8 »

hi there,

there is some interesting reading on the AP racing site if you can find it, that says.

If you have radius fingers on your cover plate you should have a flat bearing face.

and if you have flat fingers on your cover plate you should have a rounded face bearing.

I think it has something to do with the way the bearing pushes the plate, this info is from the manufacturer so I would expect them to know why.

This is the trap I fell in to, so I bought a tilton concentric slave bearing with a flat face, from America, to replace the AP one I bought in error.

If you are using a concentric type like me you need about 3mm or 1/8ins gap between the face & the bearing to act as a plate wear gap.

I wasnt happy putting mine together with the wrong faced bearing, so another £400 later...i just hope its well spent.

hope this helps.

regards
scott

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Release bearing on T5

Post by Dixie6789 »

Thanks Scott.

I purchased a new pressure plate with flat fingers.

All fits now, but can't try it yet as the T5 box is in many different bags and labels!!

Mark.
Mark

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”