R380 gearbox

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

itsallrovernow

R380 gearbox

Post by itsallrovernow »

I know reverse is below 5th gear on my R380 box, but when engaging it do I need to lift gearstick slightly to engage it without trying to force it in ? Cheers.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

No, you don't. It has an internal gate that prevents you slipping into reverse from 5th, but no other lock-out feature.
Cheers,
John

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

Cheers bud 8-)

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

For some reason my box rebuilt by ashcroft tranmissions for my sd1 goes into gear before I start up it goes in no probs, but when I start up it won't go into gear full stop! Do these boxes need to warm up first before I back out of my drive? Many thanks.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Sounds like the clutch is not working properly, with the engine switched off and the car in gear can it be rolled along the ground when the clutch is pressed?

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

I think it might be the pivot post, I changed the original for my shorter sd1 post and that's probably why getting a gear is such a struggle?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

If you have access to a welder then do yourself a favour, fill in the hole in the 'ball' on the end of the pivot post with weld then grind and polish the ball so its nice and smooth. It is the sharp corners of the blind hole that dig through the fork arm when the clutch pressed.

The idea of the hole might be to hold grease but it does more harm than good!

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

The pivot post worked fine on my lt77 box and after speaking with Dave at ash trans we both think I should of left longer post in? So box out, groan, to sort it! :(

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Had the same issue. R380 Box rebuild by TM transmissions.
Appeared to be a bent primary axle.

No warranty as it could be my fault as it could be happened during mating it back to the engine...
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

the v8 uses the longer clutch arm pivot,
short clutch arm pivot is 2.6 sd1 etc, ive been playing with these recently myself for my twin plate clutch,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

I would bet clutch not releasing or the spigot bearing or hole is not deep enough and so the input shaft will not release from the crank

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Does the 380 have synchro on reverse? If not, a check for a dragging clutch is if it crunches going into reverse.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

I'll let you all know when I drop the box over the bank hol 8-)

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

Before I take hammer to my sd1 and I've got hammer in my hand as we speak,why is clutch slave cylinder not fitting onto ppushrod ? Cylinder is brand new! Is it because I've fitted longer pivot post? What the f##k is going on with this heap of shite?!!!!!!!!!!!!!

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

Right. Having calmed down now, if I refit my standard sd1 v8 pivot post and can a use a shorter release bearing, would that work? And, what is meant by clutch drag, and how do I fix that? Thanks.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”