RV8 Release Bearing Help.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

RV8 Release Bearing Help.

Post by Coops »

Has anyone ever managed to get a flat faced release bearing that fits the RV8 metal bearing carrier?
needs to be ID of about 38.05mm to fit the bearing carrier but also needs to cover the fingers of my clutch which is 60mm to the center of the humps,
I'm beating my head against a brick wall trying to work out if the old bearing will work ok or if I need to source a flat faced bearing

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Seight-V8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Seight-V8 »

you've probably solved this already.....

but everything I've read says you need a flat type release bearing for clutch covers with radius fingers, and a radius bearing for covers with flat fingers....

Not sure why, but it must have something to do with the clutch being depressed and the bearing moving across the plate, smoother I would think.

when I used the original v8 metal bearing carrier, as the plastic one looked like it would melt....I made this.

A few tack welds on the back to keep it in place, and worked no problem, 300bhp.....

I've now upgraded to T5 gearbox and tilton 60-6100 concentric bearing, although engine build problems stop me from getting engine-gearbox back together.

Anyway if you have solved it great...

regards

scott

FarnhamStag

Post by FarnhamStag »

I used the standard plastic housing with flat faced bearing with RST clutch/Flywheel and R380 gearbox. Seems to work OK for the road
4.3 Big Valve V8, Rotrex C38-81, Intercooled, MS3X Triumph Stag.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Yes we did solve it thanks,
used landrover release and carrier and made a hybrid metal release that works spot on,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Hi Coops.

Do you have any details or photos of the hybrid you made please?

When I had the LT77 I had a flat bearing. This T5 came with radiused one. I was told it could be used with a radius fingered pressure plate, but now the clutch won't fully disengage. I am wondering if it's the bearing because nothing else has changed, same clutch and pressure plate as on my LT77.
Mark
Mark

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

i'll dig some pictures out and upload them mate over the weekend
unless Rossco has them already on his server??

basicly its a 4x4 alloy housing been sleaved to the smaller size of the lt77 carrier size,
then then we dismantled a plastic carrier that had the flat faced bearing think it was a 2wd flat faced bearing (Allan can confirm) this has then been been fitted to the alloy housing giving us a hybrid metal carrier and flat faced bearing, also used the 4x4 release arm as its wider to suit the alloy release housing,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Thanks Tony that would be a great help.
Mark

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

You can either go with the flat release bearing fitted in the plastic carrier - GRB90247

Or make a hybrid using the alloy carrier from FTC5200HD and the flat bearing from GRB90247

Its pretty self explanatory what needs doing

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dixie6789 »

Many thanks.

Looking at another option of getting a flat fingered pressure plate and keeping the radius bearing.

More expensive, but easier for me. I have limited access to a lathe/Mill.

Mark.
Mark

Dixie6789
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RV8 Release Bearing Help.

Post by Dixie6789 »

JRV8 to the rescue.

New pressure plate on the bench waiting to go in.
Mark

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”