LT77 gearbox oil change.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

jenand40
Getting There
Getting There

LT77 gearbox oil change.

Post by jenand40 »

Just changing my engine and have it and the gearbox removed from the car.

I installed both 15 years ago, and now want to change the gearbox oil, as it is going back in with the new engine. I know that the gearbox takes 1.5 litres, do I just stick in that amount or should I wait until it is installed and fill until it comes out the filler plug?

Have now drained the oil, should I flush it out before refilling and if so with what?

Thinking of using Evolution 1 oil to refill it, very expensive! Does anyone have experience of using it?

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

I've not used the oil that you mentioned but I have used the stuff in the link below and it was fine. I ve tried quite a lot of different oils in the LT77 and I can say that they are quite fussy, if you use the wrong oil the syncro's don't work properly. Fill the box until it comes back out of the filler hole.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-739-castrol ... 5w-85.aspx

You can flush the box out using white spirit, fill the box then run it through the gears with the wheels off the ground then drain it out.

Richard P6
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Richard P6 »

I tried a few oils in mine, and eventually discovered Redline MTL, which is by far the best one IMO.

I mixed it with white spirit (25% MTL to 75% White spirit) then ran the motor for a few minutes, changing through the gears (Not moving, just changing through the gears). Then drained that out and refilled with neat MTL.

Changes very well now.

Richard

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Richard P6 wrote:I tried a few oils in mine, and eventually discovered Redline MTL, which is by far the best one IMO.

I mixed it with white spirit (25% MTL to 75% White spirit) then ran the motor for a few minutes, changing through the gears (Not moving, just changing through the gears). Then drained that out and refilled with neat MTL.

Changes very well now.

Richard
I agree Redline MTL is a great oil although the gear change is a little slow when the box is stone cold. (I can live with that because you should take it easy when the engine and box are cold). I switched to the Castrol stuff only because you can get in it Halfords. (On a Sunday if needed!).

I now use a T5 box with Quaife gears, interestingly neither of the oils mentioned were any good in this box, When I spoke to Gearboxman is said I had to use the oil that he specified, nothing else would work as well, the name of the oil escapes me at the moment. Anyway Redline or the Castrol oil are fine for the LT77 box.

itsallrovernow

Post by itsallrovernow »

When you change the oil in the lt77 put some molyslip in, really helps.
A burton

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”