T5 suppliers

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Blown v8 wrote:
Devonrod wrote:Have ordered new gearbox, hopefully arrive tomorrow, Mike-b you have a PM
We will need pics ! 😎

Casting numbers say May 2015, that will do, now for the messing to get it to fit.................!

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Got a TVR front bearing retainer to swop onto the Mustang T5, this will save me a lot of machining, and will of course fit onto my Chimaera bell housing and CRB carrier. cost £90 + 7.95 post, a Chevy T5 one in the USA can be had for $20 ! and I have an idea they are the same.

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

Dave You have P.M.
Mike B Drives a 1984 Mk2 Granada ghia V8.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Mike have PM back

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

Dave .... Yo have PM.

Anyone else reading this I can assure you all our wives know about these PM`s.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Put the new TVR front bearing retainer on today, Had to check the end play and shim it first, we put the new retainer on with no shims, stood the gearbox on end on two blocks on a workmate, and with a dial gauge on the prop shaft end of the main shaft, pushed/lever upwards with a bit of wood on the input shaft and measured, added on 3 thou for preload, and put in the shims, we had to make an extra 7 thou shim, to go with the ones we had, that was fun ! even with the correct shim material. new oil seal, pre lube the new bits and torque up with the correct permatex anaerobic sealant on the retainer.
The std SD1 clutch arm and CRB carrier would not have worked with the Mustang input retainer as it has a large alloy lump sticking out that would get in the way.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Well it all went together well, put the engine/box in, had to cut the transmission tunnel as where the speedo cable exits the gearbox was in the way, cant finish this bit till the speedo cable and gears arrive from the USA, had to take half the interior out to do it ! meanwhile I am half way through making the gearbox mount, managed to modify the one I made for the Cosworth T5 I had in the car.

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

HI, That is looking nice, clean & posh Soon be time to upset the "Boy Racers" in their shopping trolleys.

Doing some work on the motor must mean your feeling better - good.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Thanks Mike, speedo cable and gears came today, I will have to change the speedo fitting on the end of the cable to a smaller one, but that should be no problem, I have purchased a 6 gear set and a clip for the gearbox end, it was more or less the same price if I had purchased two gears and the clip, I need an 18 or 19 tooth gear, I will check on a sat nav to see whats happening, because I really need an 18 1/2 ! I also have the speedo itself apart at the moment to swap the internals over for a 1000 turns one, ( Devonman sorted me one out, thanks Denis ), as the speedo I have is 1312 turns and the smallest gear you can get (16 tooth) would not give the correct reading. gets complicated don't it LOL.

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

I looked at what you are now doing and decided that the speedo would have to be changed to an electronic type. Two things put me off, one was the gearing needed and the second a cable drive. I have a pet hate of cables that drive anything.. I only have two cables fitted to the car, the hand brake and the accelerator. I don`t even have a choke as I also have the weber 500 carb fitted that was took off via advice on this forum - and yes it is better.
My speedo uses the induction system - no magnets - and can be reset to any diff ratio or wheel size. As luck would have it the diff flange where it joins to the prop has two manufactured lugs on it - ideal for the induction system as the diff never moves due to the I.R.S.
One thing for sure is your mpg figure will improve, I only have a RV8 3.9 and 30 mpg is easy now.
Keep up the good work...... Mike

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Done a bit more, modified the speedo cable I got from the USA via Ebay, it is a Pioneer brand CA3015, 60 inches long, it has the bit that fits the T5 box moulded on the end of it, I had to remove the speedo end and put on one from an English cable to fit the Jaeger speedometer I have, you can get these cables longer for different Mustangs, made up a new part of the trans tunnel that I had to cut out for the Speedo cable, then done the gear box mount, this was great fun ! its not only five degrees off parallel but it is rotated on its axis, that is the two mounting holes are not equal to the center line, I found the best way to do this is by physically putting everything together and marking it out in place, I was modifying my existing mount so this helped.
I am putting all the info on this thread in case someone else is doing the same conversion, Its taken me ages to sort everything out !

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

You are very quiet on the forum ..... hope all is well, cant be far off now can it?

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Drove the car round the block yesterday, nice short shift on the gearbox ! the speedo didn't work though and I had a leak from one down pipe on the exhaust, took all the speedo cable apart and the problem is the new Mustang cable inner square end is to small diameter by a few thou for the speedometer, after searching the net the fix I am told is to use shrink tubing over the inner cable as even the thinnest brass square tube you can get is too thick to sleeve it, I will try this and see how I get on.
Last edited by Devonrod on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mike-b
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mike-b »

Doing the work that you have just completed I would say you have done well to end up with just two teething problems.
One thing about the shrink tube you can always add more if required.

Did you take note of your r.p.m. count when in fifth gear? Should be way down compared to your old T5.

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Have only done about 50 miles so far with the new engine and gearbox, the speedo shrink tube fix worked great, the only thing was after all the careful planning it still read 5 mph too fast, in the end I had to take the speedo itself apart again and move the needle back, this fixed it great, checked it out again with the satnav and was spot on, I had put a 1000 tpi guts from another speedo in mine so I guess this was to be expected !

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”