serpentine front cover oil ways

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

How much space do you actually have.
Took me a long time to figure out the picture thing --- you have to put it on the web - tinypic or something like that and extract a code for your post.
A pic would be helpful

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

29506FDPOS
3/4 " JIC Male x M20 Male 1.5mm Pitch Positional 90° Forged Compact Elbow
£7.17 £0.00
The above is a fitting from hydraulicmegastore.com and would take a lot less room than my arrangement BUT. 1) you would have to select dowty or copper washers with thickness that would allow you to orientate it into the direction to fit your pipes. 2) I've used 7/8 jic but you would have to ask someone else if 3/4 is adequate.
An alternative would be to take a 20mm 1.5 pitch plug and drill it to take piece of 90degree pipe and braze or sweat it in to which you can have your pipe swaged on
I'm sorry I'm really not an engineer and I'm sure there is much more capable advice on this forum but this is all I could think off
P.S. I've got a plug if your stuck
Last edited by Username on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sychologist

Post by Sychologist »

Hope this gives an idea of the space. The gap to the steering rack is 31mm

[/img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/c87biydkrdg65 ... .jpeg?dl=0

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

Yeah! It's very tight but I can't see why something can't be made up.
For instance a 20mm plug only needs7mm thread and total plug length is less than 15mm and you can shave off some of the head.
If you tighten it in the.port and mark the direction you want the pipe to come in from,drill hole through the plug and braze or solder a very tight 90degree steel or brass pipe. You should manage that ( with luck ) in the remaining 17mm
An alternative would be to braze 17mm of 35mm brass rod on the head of the plug and drill a hole in the side to take a short length of pipe and drill the plug arrangement to meet
Solder an olive on the pipe over which to secure the rubber oil hose with a clip
That's all I got----- good luck
Last edited by Username on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sychologist

Post by Sychologist »

Many thanks, I was thinking along similar lines but putting an elbow in the existing pipe. Another thought was a banjo bolt but worried this might restrict the flow. I'll post an update next week after some hopeful progress just in case someone else can benefit. Thanks again for the suggestion.

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

pitmole wrote:Hi, If you just want to run with no cooler on a serp cover, then just plug the cooler ports, m18 or m20, can't remember which as I sit here but can be got from hydraulic shops. When you fit the cooler, the fittings have a special set of ends with internal o-rings that block and expose the right oilpaths. Was going to post some pics on here about a year ago for someone, must do it!!!
Was it M18 or M20 for connections on the oil ways for the serpentine crank driven oil pump with dizzy??

Bish
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

BISH V8
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by BISH V8 »

pitmole wrote:Hi, If you just want to run with no cooler on a serp cover, then just plug the cooler ports, m18 or m20, can't remember which as I sit here but can be got from hydraulic shops. When you fit the cooler, the fittings have a special set of ends with internal o-rings that block and expose the right oilpaths. Was going to post some pics on here about a year ago for someone, must do it!!!
Was it M18 or M20 for connections on the oil ways for the serpentine crank driven oil pump with dizzy??

Bish
Current project
1972 mgb v8 4.6 roadster

Username
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Username »

M20 1.5 pitch

Sychologist

Post by Sychologist »

This was my eventual solution. Welding provided by Bropel Technical Welding in Aldridge West Miss.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dyj6ix3utcd4 ... gl8Ra?dl=0

roverv8bay

timing case mods

Post by roverv8bay »

G'day all. I know this is an old thread but I have a question for ChrisJC I want to blank off my oil filter on my Serp 3.9 in my VW bus midengine arrangement Can I ask if you have pics of the mod you did on your timing case please. this is the dummy engine 3.5 the filter comes out at about the same angle as the 3.9 & unless I do major surgery on the area under the seat I cant fit a filter any help appreciated
thanks ernie

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Cant you just buy a remote oil filter kit and put the filter wherever you want it?

Garry

roverv8bay

Post by roverv8bay »

Hi Garry all the oil cooler kits I have looked at depend on the oil filter sitting on them. we don't have as many choices in OZ as you blokes have over there. the rover is considered a poor choice by a lot of v8 blokes.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

The oil cooler kits do depend on the filter with what is sometimes called a sandwich plate, but you also get an adapter that replaces the filter with lines and another fitting that you can attach to the firewall, inner fender, wherever to attach the filter onto.

Look here about half way down the page at oil filter relocation kits.
http://www.speco.com.au/acccoolers.html#single
Also here.
http://www.vpw.com.au/Category/Index/90
Cheers,
John

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

roverv8bay wrote:Hi Garry all the oil cooler kits I have looked at depend on the oil filter sitting on them. we don't have as many choices in OZ as you blokes have over there. the rover is considered a poor choice by a lot of v8 blokes.
Look where I am located :)

I have just put a 4.6 into my 101 and the oil filter is too close to the front diff. Is ok for the moment while I get the the thing running but I will have to move the oil filter about 3 feet forward from the engine and mount at the back of the bumper - there are plenty of kits from the UK that can do this.

Also there are two filters that go onto the RV8 - Ryco Z9 is a long filter and can cause clearance issues on some vehicles - The other is a Ryco Z89 and is half the length of the Z9 and is what the Disco 1 3.9s have as standard - the Z89 might help with your issue or save space in a remote location.

Garry

aimbones

Post by aimbones »

Also there are two filters that go onto the RV8 - Ryco Z9 is a long filter and can cause clearance issues on some vehicles - The other is a Ryco Z89 and is half the length of the Z9 and is what the Disco 1 3.9s have as standard - the Z89 might help with your issue or save space in a remote location.

I don't know if you got them in Aus, but the oil filter from a lotus carlton v6 about 2.5 inch deep also fits.

Tony

Return to “Engines Area”