What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

My Metro

Post by Ralphh85 »

been building this for last 18 or so months, thought i would stick it on there since its now MOTed and working. def not finished tho!

for more pics an info go to my build journal... http://metropower.org.uk/forum/forums/t ... 39&start=1

quick spec...

mid engined V8
all round vented discs,
gaz coilover suspension.
bias bar master cylinder.

last time i had it on the corner weights it was 897kg, 60/40 weight split and almost perfectly even side to side, 2kg in it. i hope to get it down to at least 800 if not lighter. and its a joy to drive, controls are just as they should be.

just got a 3.9 which will be next engine once i have built it up to my specs.

Ralph

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Good work Ralph. Does it handle like a crock of sh*te because of the empty engine bay?

Chris
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

nah she drives lovely, has fuel tank an few other bits an bobs under the bonnet, its still got 39 an a bit % weight over the front so its only same as say a lotus elise, an they dont handle bad!

also has nothing left of the original subframe, totally home built with inboard coilovers.

Ralpg

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Just spent the last hour trecking through that thread and have to say thats an impressive project. Nice work.

Andrew
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Ralph,

Got to admire your innovation and attention to detail and the pleasure of surprising much more exotic cars at the traffic lights.

See from your other post that you've bought another 3.9 was the other one knackered?

The 3.9 HC engine in standard tune in good nick produces 184BHP so a very well put together one might make a bit more, a fast road engine with stage 3 heads and a decent cam will make 230 - 250 BHP depending on how wild you go with the cam, the 3.9 has the same short stroke as the 3.5 so does like to rev if set up properly with attention to the valve gear geometry and the fitment of rocker shaft end supports, otherwise, the shafts can break if you regularly use in excess of 6000RPM for extended periods.

A good fast road cam is the Crower 50232 which peaks at 5500 but will rev well to 6500RPM, V8 Tuner has them at a good price.

Kevin.

Kevin

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Ralph,

Got to admire your innovation and attention to detail and the pleasure of surprising much more exotic cars at the traffic lights.

See from your other post that you've bought another 3.9 was the other one knackered?

The 3.9 HC engine in standard tune in good nick produces 184BHP so a very well put together one might make a bit more, a fast road engine with stage 3 heads and a decent cam will make 230 - 250 BHP depending on how wild you go with the cam, the 3.9 has the same short stroke as the 3.5 so does like to rev if set up properly with attention to the valve gear geometry and the fitment of rocker shaft end supports, otherwise, the shafts can break if you regularly use in excess of 6000RPM for extended periods.

A good fast road cam is the Crower 50232 which peaks at 5500 but will rev well to 6500RPM, V8 Tuner has them at a good price.

Kevin.

Kevin
Have you actually tried that cam with the stock injection? my experiments with aftermarket cams on a 3.5 with stock injection ended in tears...
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

thanks for the compliments guys!

3.9 i just plan on re building with ported heads and different cam, and then anything else which is needed to keep the engine in 1 piece.

its running on an emerald ecu, so can change fueling/ignition to suit, changing cam is very important cause the range rover cam has the wrong kind of power. bloke on the rolling road commented that the torque shot up at 2.5krpm and then remained about level of just over 200 right through till 5.5k where we set the limiter, it very very happyly hits the limiter which is worrying, on stock injection it wouldnt get anywhere near, 5k was max.

i more want the kind of cam which will progresivly climb, not reach max very quick an go nope thats all ya getting sorry.

Ralph

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Dave,

My information is that the Hotwire EFI can handle a cam with a LCA of 112 deg. if fueling is a problem Mark Adams said he has a chip that will suit the cam, alternatively a change to Megasquirt or similar will give total control of fueling and ignition which is a big advantage.

Kevin.

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

ha ha thats pretty cool. My grandparents used to have a metro but not like that!!
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Serious amount of work there...

but a few queries.

Rear coilover mounts...and Im sure you have a little concern yourself ? At a minimum I'd add a brace between them

Does the fuel tank have some form of internal collector for the fuel outlet, or baffling ? EFI pumps should never be allowed to see air.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Ralphh85
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ralphh85 »

the mounts are pretty stiff, they are like 5 or even 6mm steel, either way i plan on making a new tubular subframe next which will be much better designed, purpose for the job rather than a modified existing one.

and similar with the fuel tank, it does have baffles but they are not really 100 adequate when its running very empty, think i will also make a new fuel tank and probably use thinner material, and think up a better baffling system. the pump does see air when empty and i brake hard down hill, fine side to side.

Ralph

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Dave,

My information is that the Hotwire EFI can handle a cam with a LCA of 112 deg. if fueling is a problem Mark Adams said he has a chip that will suit the cam, alternatively a change to Megasquirt or similar will give total control of fueling and ignition which is a big advantage.

Kevin.
Oh indeed - I'm sure it can be made to work. Just cautioning against expecting it to be 'plug and play' with the standard injection.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

Have often wondered why in tank pumps don't cause an explosion. I took a Bosch pump to pieces and its internals are total immersed in petrol. Is it the lack of air that prevents an explosion.

JJMclure
Getting There
Getting There

Post by JJMclure »

r2d2hp wrote:Have often wondered why in tank pumps don't cause an explosion. I took a Bosch pump to pieces and its internals are total immersed in petrol. Is it the lack of air that prevents an explosion.
yes, no air no oxygen to allow ignition
don't nibble on the barrel, pull the trigger!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Ralphh85 wrote:the mounts are pretty stiff, they are like 5 or even 6mm steel, either way i plan on making a new tubular subframe next which will be much better designed, purpose for the job rather than a modified existing one.

and similar with the fuel tank, it does have baffles but they are not really 100 adequate when its running very empty, think i will also make a new fuel tank and probably use thinner material, and think up a better baffling system. the pump does see air when empty and i brake hard down hill, fine side to side.

Ralph
I was thinking more along the lines of the part of the frame the brackets are mounted on. There is huge leverage acting on this.

as for the tank. Easiest option is to create a small sump at the lowest section of the tank, with some sort of sump style baffling too. Or go to the trouble of fitting an external swirl tank. But a well designed tank would be the handiest.

Im sure you'd have room for a small round or square sump, say 4-6" deep under the actual main tank ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Your Cars”