Converting SD1 callipers for use on vented discs.

General Chat About Brakes & Suspension

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Converting SD1 callipers for use on vented discs.

Post by ppyvabw »

I might get some SD1 callipers but they are for solid discs. To convert them for use on vented discs requires a spacer which I don't imagine is available so will have to have one made.

They only have a single feed don't they, so presumably this spacer will need seals and so on so fluid can pass over the bridge. Has anyone done this?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Perhaps still available

Contact AP direct - they may be able to assist

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Converting SD1 callipers for use on vented discs.

Post by DaveEFI »

ppyvabw wrote:I might get some SD1 callipers but they are for solid discs. To convert them for use on vented discs requires a spacer which I don't imagine is available so will have to have one made.

They only have a single feed don't they, so presumably this spacer will need seals and so on so fluid can pass over the bridge. Has anyone done this?
The SD1 Vitesse and EFI had vented discs so had the spacer between halves.
They do come up on Ebay - and I'd guess they'd cost a lot less than having the spacers made.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

ppyvabw wrote:I might get some SD1 callipers but they are for solid discs. To convert them for use on vented discs requires a spacer which I don't imagine is available so will have to have one made.

I used the SD1 AP 4 pot calipers on my BV8 conversion in combination with MGBV8 discs, I got the cross drilled V8 discs from Moss.

The calipers will bolt striaght on but need thinwall sleeves to fit in the bolt holes to make up for the smaller MGB bolt size or if you can get them the TR8 bolts will do the job.

The sleeves were available from V8 Conversions 01689 858716 he also does the braided hoses for these calipers.

The above combination will be more than adequate except for all out circuit racing and is a very cost effective upgrade.

The 4 pot caliper really needs 15" wheels but a friend got them to work with 14" wheels by using external balance weights, the stick on ones that fit on the inside of the wheel will foul the calipers.

Kevin.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:

I used the SD1 AP 4 pot calipers on my BV8 conversion in combination with MGBV8 discs, I got the cross drilled V8 discs from Moss.

The calipers will bolt striaght on but need thinwall sleeves to fit in the bolt holes to make up for the smaller MGB bolt size or if you can get them the TR8 bolts will do the job.

The sleeves were available from V8 Conversions 01689 858716 he also does the braided hoses for these calipers.

The above combination will be more than adequate except for all out circuit racing and is a very cost effective upgrade.

The 4 pot caliper really needs 15" wheels but a friend got them to work with 14" wheels by using external balance weights, the stick on ones that fit on the inside of the wheel will foul the calipers.

Kevin.
The four pot calipers (non vented discs) were used on the SD1 with 14" wheels - only the vented were used on the Vitesse/EFI which had 15".

The bit that gives trouble is the pistons - they are chrome plated and rust.
New ones can be expensive - especially stainless replacements. But they are the same on both vented and non vented callipers

Even the vented setup is poor by modern standards on an SD1. I have converted mine to XJS front brakes which are a very worthwhile mod. But these do need 15" or larger wheels.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Dave,

But your car is 50% heavier and the same size brake caliper was used on the even heavier early range rover albeit with a slightly different fitment arrangement.

With the B the SD1 caliper is more than capable of locking the brakes even with todays much more sticky tyres, the only issue with racing usage would be the onset of brake fade.

Kevin.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

CastleMGBV8 wrote:Dave,

But your car is 50% heavier and the same size brake caliper was used on the even heavier early range rover albeit with a slightly different fitment arrangement.

With the B the SD1 caliper is more than capable of locking the brakes even with todays much more sticky tyres, the only issue with racing usage would be the onset of brake fade.

Kevin.
Oh indeed. But my EFI would suffer fade all too easily with enthusiastic road use. So gawd knows what the models with poorer brakes were like.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ppyvabw
Guru
Guru

Post by ppyvabw »

Thanks for the advice. I may just stick with solid discs then, rpi keep putting up sd1 callipers on fleabay so I will wait for some more to come up.

Wheels aren't a problem, I have 15 inch revolutions with extra negative offset so there should be plenty of room I think.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Why not consider fitting a set of calipers from a more modern car just ?

Something with a wide variety of pads readily available.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Or Wilwood calipers

Loads of possibilities and most "combinations" can be done including 6 pots into 15 inch wheels

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If the caliper bolts together, making spacers to allow wider discs shouldnt be very difficult.

usually it is just as simple as a flat plate.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Just remember that those longer bolts will need to be high tensile items.....
Cheers,
John

Return to “Brakes & Suspension Area”