Merlin Heads

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Merlin Heads

Post by mgbloke »

Anyone got news as to what is happening at Real Steel.
I have phoned them at least 7 times and every time I get "they will be ready next month"
Had them on order for 15month now.

Anyone on the waiting list?

Mark

Speed 8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Speed 8 »

Yep. :oops:

Phoned them about 2 weeks ago. Expected delivery about July - August. :roll: On order since early December.

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

It'll be back order, ie until enough payments are taken there won't be a production run.

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Mark,

The new TA Performance heads for the Buick/Rover V8 engine will be available in about 3 months and the full race version is suggested to out flow even Wildcat heads.

Kevin.

kokkolanpoika
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by kokkolanpoika »

I have heard that Real steel is buying CNC machine + other milling machine that they can do all machining by them self.. Thats maybe the reason why you have to wait those heads..? But i live in Finland and i dont know is this true? :D
Timo

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Kev!!
Have you got a link to those TA heads ??

Sounds like they might be worth a look as the price to get mine maxxed out is around 1700 notes...

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

Boosted LS1
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by Boosted LS1 »

HairbearTE wrote:It'll be back order, ie until enough payments are taken there won't be a production run.
It's annoying if a business takes the money and doesn't tell you this. Happened to me once some years ago. After 12 months of waiting I gave up.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

mgbv8 wrote:Kev!!

Sounds like they might be worth a look as the price to get mine maxxed out is around 1700 notes...
i got me eye on them heads too Pel :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Greg55_99
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Greg55_99 »

thev8kid wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:Kev!!

i got me eye on them heads too Pel :wink:
Coming soon....

Greg

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

^^^ that is probably the main reason whr RS dosen't want to invest heavily and stock up on Merlins..

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Still a bit short on information on the final spec of these heads.

I'm assuming that the eventual valve sizes may have to come down a little due to the smaller bore size of 94mm and the smaller chamber size reuired for the rover but the valves appear to be close to the centre line of the bore so possibly not much smaller.

The V6 heads run 1.94 in. & 1.60 Ex. valves

The V6 heads are on page 18 of their catalogue.

http://www.taperformance.com/www/PDF/TA ... atalog.pdf

Will report back with any further news.

Kevin.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Ive been told that I am 7th on the list for the RS heads and the next batch will consist of 10 pairs.
I have not been asked for a deposit!
Last time I spoke to them they said that after May they will concentrate all their efforts on the heads and was told first batch will be ready in June.
Im not holding my breath though.
Mark

Speed 8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Speed 8 »

I'm 14th on their list. Hope to receive them by when the winter arrives. If not I’m considering either TA or stage 3 rover heads. Will be running a 5.0 Wildcat bottom end and I’m satisfied with around 310bhp. The main advantage for me is that my forged pistons already have valve cut outs based on the Rover heads. Read somewhere that it might not be such a good idea to re-cut forged pistons. Won't be revving the sh*t out of it though...

HairbearTE
Guru
Guru

Post by HairbearTE »

Speed 8 wrote:I'm 14th on their list. Hope to receive them by when the winter arrives. If not I’m considering either TA or stage 3 rover heads. Will be running a 5.0 Wildcat bottom end and I’m satisfied with around 310bhp. The main advantage for me is that my forged pistons already have valve cut outs based on the Rover heads. Read somewhere that it might not be such a good idea to re-cut forged pistons. Won't be revving the sh*t out of it though...
You will have check clearances and/or re-cut the pistons with the Merlins, they have moved the valves to the centerline of the bore too. If you don't want too mess around and still need 310hp i'd consider a set of TVR heads from a 5ltr griff etc which are widely agreed to be stage 4.

mgbloke
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbloke »

Phoned RS today and to my amazement the heads are being worked on now and will be ready within 2 weeks!
mind you I was also told this a year or so ago so not holding my breath.

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”