What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Paul,

Sounds like a plan mate. I'll let you know when I'm up & running. I stripped it all down today & everything is in excellent condition. As for the liner it's only dropped by about .006" and I did consider just decking the block but as I've already got it stripped I may as well do the job properly. I'd be really gutted if it didn't work. My cam gear & oil pump cover just show a very light polish so the oil I'm using seems to be doing the job. While I'm waiting for the block to come back I thought I'd rip the original heater unit out & exchange it for a later model that I have in my spares. The heater matrix is a lot easier to change in case of problems in the future.

Ged.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

Sounds like you've got the right idea Ged.... get it done properly. who is doing the top hat liners for you V8D?
You mention the oil you are using working well -what is it?
Looking forward to see you and car sometime soon. Cheers, Paul.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi Paul,

Yes I rang V8D & spoke to Ray. He told me he has 17 Rover blocks with slipped liners at the moment & has had to do two Coscast blocks. The oil I'm using is Valvoline 20/50R.

Ged

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Did you overheat the 4.6 to cause that? Were you using a new block or was it out of a P38 Range Rover?

Interesting that the Coscast blocks are starting to show the same issues as the LR ones. Kinda puts paid to all RPI's hype about how superior they are over top hats.

Muscle-Manta
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Muscle-Manta »

I've also read all that sales hype on the Rpi site about the costcast blocks Robrover mentioned.
I have often thought of changing my 3.9 for a 4.6 at some point, however if I do I will make sure it is a top hat liner block not a costcast as intended.
Ged, Sounds like you might be waiting a while before you get your block back, did Rob give you at turn around time?

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Gidday Rob,

The block was out of a 96 Rangie. Was rebored +.020" . In my opinion the liners are too thin to start with. I always worked on a minimum 3mm wall thickness when I was machining top hat liners in the early 80s in NZ. As for overheating it crept up to the 100C mark a couple of times but this was after the problem started. I put it down to a head gasket weeping at first as I was using tins & it has about 20,000 miles on it now. The coolant system started pressurising ( not much as I wasn't losing any coolant) just enough to force the coolant below the sensor & illuminate the warning light If I ran it without the radiator cap everything was fine but as soon as I revved it there was a small stream of bubbles visible.

Paul

2 weeks mate but I'll have it reassembled & back in over a weekend. :D

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

According to Land Rover, you can't rebore the 4.0 / 4.6 engines at all.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,

Thats a bit odd considring you can now get 20thou. oversize Rover pistons,

Before I built my 4.35 engine I spoke to Ian Richardson at Wildcat and he told me the max overbore in a standard 94mm liner was 1mm. hope he's right as I now have 94.89mm. pistons.

PS the rebore only cost £200 so going DIY would probably cost a lot more by the time you got all the kit to do it.

Kevin.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Well, the Land Rover manual for the 4.0 / 4.6 engines lists undersizes for the mains / big ends, but nothing for the bores. I take that to mean that it's not recommended.....

Of course there may be other info from LR that says otherwise.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

CastleMGBV8
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by CastleMGBV8 »

Chris,

That's LandRover for you, they used to say if the crank was worn buy a new one!

Kevin.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Damn,

I think I've got a disposable engine. :lol:

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Hi All,

I got bored waiting for my block to be fixed so I decided to strip my tranny & give it an "overhaulin". :lol:

Anyway, the reason being it used to whine a bit in first & second. I can't complain though it was only used as a stopgap until I could afford something better & I really didn't expect it to last. Upon inspection (bear in mind It's of an unknown mileage) It's in pretty good nick. Total cost for a rebuild which included gaskets,seals,synchro's,bearings & selectors came to around £150. The biggest hassle was making the tools needed but even so for a couple of day's work I'm well pleased with the result.

Ged.

ged
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ged »

Well my blocks done, unfortunately too late for a delivery for the weekend. Ray from V8D was really good at keeping me posted & if my mobile wasn't knackered I probably would have had it back in time. Still never mind, I'll be like a kid at Christmas with a new toy when I unwrap it! :D

Ged

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

ged wrote:He told me he has 17 Rover blocks with slipped liners at the moment & has had to do two Coscast blocks.

Ged
I knew it!!! :lol: :lol:

I've always said those coscast were a waste of money, that proves it. :twisted:

Lehto

Post by Lehto »

chodjinn wrote:
ged wrote:He told me he has 17 Rover blocks with slipped liners at the moment & has had to do two Coscast blocks.

Ged
I knew it!!! :lol: :lol:

I've always said those coscast were a waste of money, that proves it. :twisted:
Id love to hear what mister crane has to say about this...

Return to “Your Cars”