Getting There

Post by satancom »

ChrisJC wrote:Yes. I did that too.
Thats good enough for me,

Cheers

ewokracing

Post by ewokracing »

satancom wrote:
One question. The fuel inlet on the carb. Currently it has a mistery fitting on. The pipe under the fitting has a ridge as a normal push fit system would. Can I just dremel the screw fitting off, push a hose over and use a small jubilee clip to hold it in place?

The reason I has is I have loads of clips and none of these fittings, and don't really know where to get them anyhow? Surely this would be the same and secure ? The pump is only 4psi so shouldn't blow the jubilee clips off!
bumping up an old thread as it has 90% of the answer that I need.

I've got a 1976 p6b that has a slightly different fuel setup, mine has the fuel filter on the drivers side rocker cover and it has the two screw in nuts+olives to hold the fuel filter in place. To replace a fuel filter is 20 pounds from the UK, whereas a normal fuel filter here in Australia with the push on barbed ends is about 5 dollars.

ChrisJC: you mentioned that you had cut off the screw fitting on your carbs, what size rubber fuel line do you need to use? 8mm or 10mm?

Mine has a 90 degree screw fitting, so I want to cut it off and down the pipe slightly so that I can curve the rubber hose toward the filter

ie slightly right of where my fingertip is:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I can't recall what pipe bore it was, just measure the OD of the metal pipe with some calipers.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ewokracing

Post by ewokracing »

ChrisJC wrote:I can't recall what pipe bore it was, just measure the OD of the metal pipe with some calipers.

Chris.
yeah um, I've kinda lost mine! :?

ewokracing

Post by ewokracing »

All good, chanced it with some old spare fuel line I had from a 70's Mazda and 8mm line fitted perfectly.

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

Pocket rocket wrote:Another if it helps

Image[/img]
Thought I'd bump this up.
Been reading through it and examining the pics.......looks like mine, except the 2 pipes going to the front of the SU's are not there on mine......the big pipe from the top RH rocker cover just goes straight over board.......could that be the cause of my high idle problem?
If theres a harder way to do it I'll find it!

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

Here's a pic of the breather pipe I mentioned (the one I'm pointing at) which just dumps straight overboard.[/img]

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

Here's 2 pics of the carbs. Pipework looks different, and wrong to me.
Could this be the cause of my high idle?

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It looks like the pipes from the rear of the air filters into the carb are effectively bypassing the throttle plate, so yes, I expect that they would make the idle high (and unaffected by the idle screw!).

You might need to do a bit of experimentation as there are a ton of variations, but the general idea is to keep the crankcase at a slight vacuum.

So I fitted an aftermarket PCV valve between the two pipes on the carbs (T'd together) and one of the rocker covers (so that always keeps a small amount of sucking on that side), and then vented the other rocker cover to atmosphere. That way, it draws in on one side and out into the carbs on the other with the total suck controlled by the PCV.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
the tapping at the back of the carb should be connected to the crank case evacuation system or blanked off.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

Looks like I need to do some tinkering.

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
the tapping at the back of the carb should be connected to the crank case evacuation system or blanked off.
best regards
Mike
Had a little tinker today. Got it running to temp where it was fast idling. Then pulled those pipes off. No difference. Put my fingers over the holes on the carb (effectively blanking them), and it died.
Put it all back the way it was and ran it, now it wants to die without a bit of throttle. Seems there is some play in the linkage and the cable which I need to sort, but I'm not sure that was causing the high idle. Ran out of tinker time, had to go to work.
More tinkerage required.

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
Then pulled those pipes off. No difference. Put my fingers over the holes on the carb (effectively blanking them), and it died.
yup that would figure, the idle mixture must be set very rich for it to run at all with the pipes bypassing the ventury like that, cover them up ypu are probably running (or not!) an AFR about 6 or 7 to 1, unless it was stone cold I would think it would not want to fire.
Best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

Tonycougar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Tonycougar »

It is more difficult to start when hot. Starts easy when cold.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Sounds like the idle is shut right off, and it is just idling on the pipes you unplugged.

So plug the pipes up, then increase the idle speed a lot until it will idle without any throttle pedal. Finally adjust the idle down to a sensible level.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”