What Do You Drive? Tell Us Here.
V8 Only Please,

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

A pair of classic P6 Rovers

Post by al mackenzie »

I own two early '70s V8 Rover P6 saloons, both white with black leather interiors, both languishing in a dry garage here in Berlin awaiting extensive welding to make them roadworthy again. One is unmolested, the other is lowered on a full set of poly bushes and gas shocks with a mildy uprated balanced 3.5 litre SD1 short block. Through a standard exhaust the Kent 214 cam produces approx. 160bhp. It made more power with an Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 390 and MGB 4into1 block huggers than with the original SUs but was thirstier too!
I hope to get started welding them back up in the new year... just got to learn to weld now!

'72 Rover 3500, 6yr back-to-the-bare-Base-Unit nut & bolt resto finished in time for her 40th birthday June 2012!

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Welcome Al, that sounds like a nice couple of cars there...
Pics are always good :wink:
cheers
Bill

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

welcome to the forum from me too

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

There's lots of welding on a P6 - great cars though. I had a nice series 1 V8 (in Davos White) for 14 years, and only sold it through lack of use. What p***ed me off though, was the new wings rusting (car garaged) despite properly painted sealed etc.

Pete
Image Image

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by al mackenzie »

...years later, and I'm still not finished! I decided to strip the 'unmolested' car when it turned out to have been bodged and blown over for a quick cash sale. :roll: Figured I could cannibalize the best bits of both cars to make one really good one. Got stuck right in and tore it all apart, back to the last nut and bolt. A man needs a hobby, right!? Cor blimey, but it doesn't half take a long time to get everything refinished and get it back together. I've had the chassis stiffened, the suspension lowered and poly-bushed, the brakes rebuilt with stainless pistons, swapped in the PAS, got the better of the two engines installed, added the repainted intake manifold, carbs and valve covers today. Need to find enough cash to afford a decent new paintjob next...
'72 Rover 3500, 6yr back-to-the-bare-Base-Unit nut & bolt resto finished in time for her 40th birthday June 2012!

softdash3.9
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by softdash3.9 »

Very impressed

I started with V8's with a P6 series 2 3500, rebuilt the base unit but got no further :cry: (when I was 21, and I'm know 43 :lol: )

But I still have her :D ...........one day

I have also @ 2years ago aquired a series one 3500 :D

As if I haven't enough toys :roll:
Regards
Royston

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Good work!

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

plastic orange
Getting There
Getting There

Post by plastic orange »

Great to see work like this on a P6 - nearly tempted to get another one :D

Pete
Image Image

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by al mackenzie »

It has been quite a while since I've been on the forum, and even longer since I started taking my '72 P6 apart with a view to restoring her! I'm delighted to report that my project is now more-or-less finished, apart from a few little niggles! I very much hope to get it through the very strict TÜV (MOT) full inspection next week, and back on the roads at long last. Fingers crossed!
Here are a few snapshots for your delectation:

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Lovely. 8)

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

Sweet !! 8)

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by al mackenzie »

Passed the first TÜV this week with no advisories. Two years of V8 motoring since I got the car back on the roads, lots of little niggles corrected, no major problems, now has Kenlowe push fan in front of new rad, next project is to install an LT77 5-speed gearbox.

Robrover
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Robrover »

Great looking car. Can't remember the last time I saw one on the road but they're certainly impressive. There's a couple of P6B owners with 4.6 engines fitted on the forum I believe.

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Whats the black duct in the middle of the carbs?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

al mackenzie
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by al mackenzie »

The US export P6 was fitted with a different air filter box to the UK and European market cars. It features a cold air intake that meets the long scoop on the middle of the bonnet. It also has a warm air feed from a collector around the driver's side exhaust manifold. The cold/warm air mixture is controlled by a bi-metallic strip and a vacuum unit.

Return to “Your Cars”