Adiquate result from my "slightly adjusted" Griffi

For V8 Forum Members only, Please list rolling road & dyno posts in here please

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Adiquate result from my "slightly adjusted" Griffi

Post by dnb »

The engine in question is a 5 litre Rover v8, with a few things bolted on to it... ;)

Not too bad a result. I'm a bit surprised by the antics at 4000 RPM. The only thing that's different beween this and the 260 bhp result in the summer is my own design of isolated runner twin plenum inlet manifold.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

nice one mate,
glad to see things going the right direction,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Alley Kat
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Alley Kat »

Nice, and an impressive gain from the manifold too...

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Good work.
Maybe the air velocity hits a sweetspot at that rpm?
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

bill shurvinton
Getting There
Getting There

Post by bill shurvinton »

Certainly very odd. Above that point the torque curve does exactly what I would expect, below there it is all over the place. Usually results like that are from excessive wheelspin on the rollers. If that isn't the case, then there is something very wrong with airflow in the intake or some wierdy in the exhaust.

With IR setups the torque plot usually has a small hump low down for the airbox (if there is one) then 1 or 2 distinct humps for resonant modes.

Intriguing...

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

bill shurvinton wrote:Certainly very odd. Above that point the torque curve does exactly what I would expect, below there it is all over the place. Usually results like that are from excessive wheelspin on the rollers. If that isn't the case, then there is something very wrong with airflow in the intake or some wierdy in the exhaust.

With IR setups the torque plot usually has a small hump low down for the airbox (if there is one) then 1 or 2 distinct humps for resonant modes.

Intriguing...
Its daves own design manifold:
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Well unless he's got a flat plane crankshaft, that inlet manifold may well do 'funny things'

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

The crank is standard, and I am using a standard manifold base (well, almost standard ;) ) so it still has crossovers, so the airflow is correct.

The car was a pain on the rollers - we tightened the straps several times, so it could have been slipping a bit.

bill shurvinton
Getting There
Getting There

Post by bill shurvinton »

In which case I would mark it down to a non-optimal RR and do some manual interpolation of the graph down to 3000RPM

r2d2hp
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by r2d2hp »

That's an amazing increase David. Were the tests done using the same rollers. Did you make any other modifications made as well?

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

Not the same rollers, but they were at least both Dyno Dynamics.

The only change (other than fitting the plenums) was to hugely increase the VE table and retard the ignition timing a bit to control the det.

I suppose I should be using 97 RON fuel, but there's no constant source of it here. :(

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

I think I have the answer to the jump in torque issue.

There is a term: "Effective wide open throttle". In a NA engine, it means the throttle angle to achieve atmospheric pressure in the manifold. Any throttle opening after this is simply slowing the airflow down.

Effective WOT with these plenums at low RPM is around 30% or so, and the RR test was done with the throttle pegged at 100%. It would be interesting to see results from using a progressive throttle opening in this lower RPM area.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Can the VEMS control a throttle by wire? Could be an interesting experiment if it does as I guess thats the whole point of them.

dnb
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by dnb »

If I have diagnosed the problem correctly, it would indeed be a solution.

No, VEMS can't do fly-by-wire throttles at the moment, and it's not something I'd really want on the car either. (I have a lot of reasons)

I'll stick with feeding the throttle based on vacuum gauge readings for the moment.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

I guess a mechanical solution would be like the old SU carb, bike CV type arrangement but as a TB. I notice even some of the new bikes with injection are still using a type of CV so you might well be onto something with your ideas.

Return to “Rolling Roads And Dyno's”