Clutch plate dowels

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

marsbar

Clutch plate dowels

Post by marsbar »

Apologies if this is a repeat question - I have searched the forum but not seen anything……
Had my flywheel lightened and getting new holes drill for fixing the smaller SD1 clutch plate - do I need the dowels or will the 6 bolts be enough?
Thanks
Chris

Currently building AK Cobra kit car with 3.5 V8 engine (also rebuilding this at the same time!)

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Re: Clutch plate dowels

Post by SuperV8 »

marsbar wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:06 am
Apologies if this is a repeat question - I have searched the forum but not seen anything……
Had my flywheel lightened and getting new holes drill for fixing the smaller SD1 clutch plate - do I need the dowels or will the 6 bolts be enough?
Thanks
Chris
Dowels are for precise location of your clutch plate.
Bolt holes have a relatively large clearance that is not close enough to rely on for accurate location.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

jp928

Post by jp928 »

Recently had my flywheel cleaned up - they couldnt get the dowels out, so they got planed off. No vibration issues to 3000rpm so far.
jp 73 P6B S

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

jp928 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:40 am
Recently had my flywheel cleaned up - they couldnt get the dowels out, so they got planed off. No vibration issues to 3000rpm so far.
jp 73 P6B S
The force of any rotational imbalance is calculated with the square of the RPM - meaning doubling the RPM will quadruple the out of balance force.

So out of balance forces get very much worse at higher RPM's
If it's going in a tractor of Landrover probably ok? - if the engine is in a road car/sports car I would want dowels for my clutch plate and the assembly balanced following machining.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

marsbar

Post by marsbar »

Thanks all for the helpful answers
Currently building AK Cobra kit car with 3.5 V8 engine (also rebuilding this at the same time!)

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”