Hi again

General Chat About Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel Systems And Intake

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

medwaykent

Hi again

Post by medwaykent »

Sorry guys havnt been on here for quite a long time .. i have a problem ... my rover 3.5 engine is in a trike my prob is to do with crankcase pressure at present i have to pipes one coming of each rocker cover running down to a catch tank which has a filter on top when doing a longish journey i have slight weeping of oil coming from head gaskets .. could one off you please advise on best way to set this up .. i ve read few articles that say fit pcv valve to one rocker cover and take pipe from pcv to carb (i have old su s with k and n's and no where to take pipe too on carbs) and other rocker to put small filter on it .. hope this makes sense and someone can advise best way to sort this out thanks un advance paul...

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Hi

Crankcase pressure isn't going to cause weeping at the head gaskets. That's going to be a head gasket issue.

medwaykent

Post by medwaykent »

Ok thanks read on a site not having pcv valve could cause this .. still want to fit pcv valve can someone suggest best way to fit with my above description thanks paul

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Hi

Crankcase pressure may cause weeping at the rocker cover gaskets.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Does the engine have the small filter at the rear of the block on the left side when facing the front of the engine?
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Oil weeping from head gaskets is a common problem in my experience because there's nothing to stop oil running across the deck from the valley side and out. I run a thin smear of sealant along the inner edge of the deck and head to stop it.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

medwaykent

Post by medwaykent »

No john no filter to rear of engine .

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

ChrisJC wrote:Oil weeping from head gaskets is a common problem in my experience because there's nothing to stop oil running across the deck from the valley side and out. I run a thin smear of sealant along the inner edge of the deck and head to stop it.

Chris.
Its not a common problem. Its a problem if you use the wrong gasket on the wrong surface.
Elring or Cometic gaskets need a different surface smoothness compared with oridinairy gaskets which you only need to sand down the surface and fit and forget. I just use the composite gaskets Real Steel sells.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

JP. wrote:
ChrisJC wrote:Oil weeping from head gaskets is a common problem in my experience because there's nothing to stop oil running across the deck from the valley side and out. I run a thin smear of sealant along the inner edge of the deck and head to stop it.

Chris.
Its not a common problem. Its a problem if you use the wrong gasket on the wrong surface.
Elring or Cometic gaskets need a different surface smoothness compared with oridinairy gaskets which you only need to sand down the surface and fit and forget. I just use the composite gaskets Real Steel sells.
Well I only every fit Land Rover genuine parts, and I have seen this problem with both tin and composite gaskets......

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

medwaykent wrote:No john no filter to rear of engine .
Cheers,
John

Return to “Exhaust, Cylinder Heads, Fuel And Intake Area”