RV8 Noise

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

RV8 Noise

Post by truckdoctor »

I have a rover v8 fitted in a ford f100 that is a recent purchase which has an intermittent tappet noise. I checked the angle that it sits in the chassis which is 3 degrease downward tilt at the gearbox tail shaft
On the over run when braking it develops a noisy tappet ( very loud ) that slowly gets quieter if left to tick over or accelerate away. Not measured the oil pressure but the oil light doesn't flicker at idle and goes out straight away after start-up.
I can't understand why this would happen and wonder if what the problem could be.
Any ideas?

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Leaking exhaust manifold
Sounds just like a noisy tappet
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Just a couple of other off the wall ideas.

Has it got an automatic gearbox?
If it has then it could be a cracked flexplate.

If it's a high mileage unit it could be cam walk which is causing a cam lobe to act on the dished part of a badly worn follower thus giving temporarily more clearance.
(Large crank end float will allow the timing chain and cam to walk)

Also, oil pressure drops on overrun/ breaking with an auto gearbox.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by truckdoctor »

It does have an auto box so I can see I'm going to be busy checking that lot.
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll report back.

truckdoctor
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by truckdoctor »

Well as promised, a reply. I found the solution to be adding engine oil over the correct level as indicated on the dipstick. Problem sorted, though I'm not sure why.

JSF55
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by JSF55 »

I had that with an early V6 Essex engine, found rockers were dry and squeaking all the time, mismatch of sump and dipstick, just remarked them for the correct amount in the sump
So thats where it went !

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

truckdoctor wrote:Well as promised, a reply. I found the solution to be adding engine oil over the correct level as indicated on the dipstick. Problem sorted, though I'm not sure why.
The oil pick up in the sump has a gasket where it bolts to the block. If this gasket is leaking, air will be sucked in and you will get a loss of pressure. If you flood the sump with more oil the leaking gasket may suck oil instead of air. Just a theory!!!
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Return to “Engines Area”