Wide Band O2 Sensors

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

Just to come back to this and to ask another question.

I decided to go a single wideband LC-2 sensor and controller with a dash display.

Until I get my 4.6 all sorted I will stay with the 3.5 manifolds and exhaust then upgrade to RR P38 manifolds and large exhaust.

With the current exhaust the pipes from each bank do not come together until near the rear of the vehicle just in front of the muffler. So I have mounted the bung and wideband there where it will sense gasses from both banks - the cables are long enough to reach the cabin area where the ECU will be etc. But that will all be temporary.

With the new exhaust I want to go a twin system with one exhaust from each bank with just a balance pipe joining them.

So my question is - if I put the O2 sensor bung in the balance pipe and not either of the main exhaust pipes will that be OK? Will I still get valid input or will the gasses in the balance pipe tend to just sit there and not move?

If that is not a good idea, I will weld a bung in each exhaust pipe and run the O2 sensor from one of them so when driving will only read O2 on one bank. However when tuning the engine I will test O2 in each bank by moving the sensor from one bank to another.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Garry

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I would just put it on one side where the collector is. I would think that both sides are running the same if it's controlled by a single ECU.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Balance pipe might be ok, but best somewhere with better flow.

And without monitoring both, there can only be the assumption both banks are the same.

Any number of problems or issues could see them very different and having info from each can be invaluable in fault finding.

But if all is well...then probably not much need for both.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

stevieturbo wrote:Balance pipe might be ok, but best somewhere with better flow.
Chris - thanks for your reponse.

Stevie - so you dont think the balance pipe is the best - hmmm I actually agree so was hoping someone might say it would be OK - I guess there will be minimal flow between the two exhaust pipe.

So, given I am only running one O2 sensor I will install on one side and just monitor one side and also install a bung on the other side for tuning etc. Maybe later put in another kit but not just now.

Thanks

Garry

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

I dont think the balance pipe is an ideal spot.

But yes if you can, I would put bungs in both sides to give the option of monitoring both, or each individually.

TBH, I'd actually put 2 bosses in each pipe...future proofs for anything including allowing any dyno tuner to install their own in each too
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

Return to “Engines Area”