Is this block a write off?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Is this block a write off?

Post by moppit »

Was getting a lot of vapour in the catch tank and fearing a head gasket or liner problem in my 3.5, I found this:

Engine is a recent rebuild (by someone else) so was not expecting this...

Last edited by moppit on Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

bingo! my first picture eventually posted....

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

Bigger picture would help but that looks like some heavy corrosion there.

If the deck can be skimmed within reason then it's possible that you could save this.

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

I assume complete strip down in order to check this? Is there no special filler or otherwise that could allow a repair in situ?

Can't believe someone built a new engine with a block like this...can't believe I bought it either...

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

bigger picture...well you did ask....I cant figure out how to post mid size pic!

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Of course almost anything is fixable.

A light skim might be sufficient for that, as the corrosion doesnt seem to extend to where the gasket would really be sealing anyway.

If it was absolutely vital to restore material in that area, it could be ground out and built up with weld, again this would require machining afterwards. Although this might then disturb the metal at the liner....just wont know until you try.

or whip the liner out, weld it up and install a new liner.

But for DIY prior to paying for machining, I'd be getting a good straight edge and seeing just how bad that area is and how much might need skimmed or welded up to restore it.

With mucho patience you could effect a good DIY repair with a good flat block and varying wet/dry, some good files and the TIG welder.

But yes it is fixable.....some cheap, some not so cheap
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

Thanks Stevie, this gives me some comfort. Given that I already have a set of head gaskets a DIY solution seems like a pragmatic approach and if that ultimately fails then it's not cost me much. If it works then it gets me back on the road for a few months until I can budget for a new block...

Pulling the engine out right now in the middle of this good weather is going to mean the car off the road for weeks.

Actually, looking at the news this morning it makes my problem seem very insignificant compared to what others are going through...

Thanks for your help.

Simon

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've used Belzona to repair a damaged block face years ago - it was recommended by Rover. It's a very posh type of plastic metal. I dunno how long it lasted, though, as I lost touch with the car, a P5B.
But it was many, many years ago. I'd guess there might be even better products now.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Also, what gaskets are in use ?

standard tin or composite ? And where is the fire ring on each actually situated on your bore ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

I once used A4 MetalSet to repair a badly corroded head, you can drill and tap it once set, it's really tough stuff.

https://www.smooth-on.com/products/metalset-a4/
Cheers,
John

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

stevieturbo wrote:Also, what gaskets are in use ?

standard tin or composite ? And where is the fire ring on each actually situated on your bore ?
Tin gaskets came off, I've got some decent quality composites from Paul at V8tuner to go back on. I plan on getting 20 thou skimmed off the heads to preserve comp ratio - is that right or should I go more? Block says 9.35:1, not sure on the heads I have.

Got a bloke coming round Thursday with a view to welding in situ - reckons he has done engine blocks before(?) If he has doubts then might explore the metal filler route - either mixed or heated. There are some low (300 degree) and higher temperature filler alloy rods that can be applied with a blowtorch - these presumably would sit somewhere in-between?

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

Cleanliness will be the main hindrance to TIG welding, but it should be doable.

Chemical metal options...not really sure on that
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

As Stevie says if you go for the TIG route cleanliness will be a problem. Likewise the minerals/impurities in the alloy will start to precipitate out and cause a really bad weld.

The way to deal with that is to lay a thin bead of weld down then grind it out, do this 3 or even 4 times, this way the minerals and impurities should have all precipitated out. Leave time for the block to cool between each bead, the liner will carry a lot of heat and you could easily wash out a large section of the block.

Then lay small beads and build it back up slowly, again keep the temps down by allowing it to cool.

moppit
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by moppit »

Great, thanks for the welding tips. I'll see what the pro-mobile welder says when he gets here tomorrow afternoon. As long as the liner does not get displaced during the heating/cooling session then great.

Whenever I've tried to do anything with older ally castings the problem is always the porosity and the impurities that seep out when heated (eg. powder coating rocker covers horrendous experience!) so I'm under no illusions of this being a success. I'm thinking something like JB weld might be a safer option..

I have managed to locate a top hat 3.9 block as a last resort...but likely this will be £££

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

And again...is that are actually flat ?

And if so, how flat where the gasket seals ?

If enough of it is flat already, then it might need no work at all.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile

Return to “Engines Area”