Oil leak dizzy stump

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Oil leak dizzy stump

Post by Pitschi »

The engine was rebuild a few years ago and was waiting for 5 years to be installed. In 2016 it was mounted and got a few test runs, all in all 50 miles. It runs fine, 3.5 with quad Dellortos, just back from the rolling road this week. What really disturbs me are the leaks. One leak is the back side of the oil pan. That will be solved when changing the oil again this month. The real problem is the leak at the dizzy stump. I changed from a dizzy bolt for the clamp to a stud, still leaking. I changed the O-ring, still leaking. I put an additional small gasket on top of the stump, still leaking. I disconnected the additional oil feed pipe from the oil pump for the dizzy, still leaking. I used an existing thread in the timing cover on top to mount a NPT adapter with a tube to give the "pressure" a way our, still leaking. I have dry valley clamps and seals front and rear, no leaking. I have 4 breathers on the rockers. So enough "breathing" I guess. Why is oil still coming out of the dizzy stump?
I have added some pics. The red fluffs are from a red rag I put in when driving a few miles to avoid oil over the front.

may I have a wrong dip stick and too much oil in? I don't want to risk an engine damage running too less oil. I have an oil pan with with one side wing and an additional oil cooler.

Thanks in advance for some replys.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It does sound like you have excess crankcase pressure. Have you tried removing the oil cap with the engine running? It should 'suck' slightly there rather than 'blow'.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

What about the joint between the timing cover and the block at the very top. The last picture shows stains running down from that area.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

DaveEFI wrote:It does sound like you have excess crankcase pressure. Have you tried removing the oil cap with the engine running? It should 'suck' slightly there rather than 'blow'.

How is there going to be a vacuum created in the crankcase?
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Darkspeed wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:It does sound like you have excess crankcase pressure. Have you tried removing the oil cap with the engine running? It should 'suck' slightly there rather than 'blow'.

It is (should be) connected to the inlet manifold, so runs at negative pressure. If for any reason it runs at positive pressure, it is far more likely to leak.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

DaveEFI wrote:
Darkspeed wrote:

It is (should be) connected to the inlet manifold, so runs at negative pressure. If for any reason it runs at positive pressure, it is far more likely to leak.
But he has quite clearly told us he's on quad Del's and they do not have manifold connects for crank PCV so will always run a slight positive which is why he has 4 breathers.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Sorry - not familiar with the plumbing on those. But the same principle applies. If pressure can build up inside the crankcase, it is more likely to leak oil.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

DaveEFI wrote:Sorry - not familiar with the plumbing on those. But the same principle applies. If pressure can build up inside the crankcase, it is more likely to leak oil.
Agreed - sounds like it's always going to be prone to leaking.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

DaveEFI wrote: If pressure can build up inside the crankcase, it is more likely to leak oil.
That's the problem, IMO.
Isn't it possible to route the breathers to a catch tank and then the exit of the catch tank vents via a venturi into the exhaust? That should give a negative pressure in the crankcase.
Cheers,
John

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

Thanks guys.

I have really thought of mounting this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/401297688839?_tr ... EBIDX%3AIT

Will give it a new try with little oversized O-ring. But there will be still some pressure that will out I think :-(

I ran a Chevy a few ago just with two breathers on the rockers. No PCV, no problems at all.

Pitschi
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Pitschi »

BTW the valle clamps and seals are really dry. It seems that there is a small line of oil but that is just from cleaning the mess.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Unless you have a chrome fetish, I'd say the standard set-up is more than capable of venting the block as long as it is connected to a source of negative pressure, in my opinion.

All you are going to do is pay for a bunch of kit that still needs to be plumbed in like the existing parts, so I would start by seeing if the current stuff will work and then get the shiny stuff if you want to later.
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Would using a vacuum pump for diesel van brakes work and be easier to plumb in?

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Other thing might be given the engine was rebuilt and only done a few miles is the rings may not have bedded in fully yet.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Try a bit of PTFE tape around the bolt threads.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

Return to “Engines Area”