3.5v8 engine help needed

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Aminv8

3.5v8 engine help needed

Post by Aminv8 »

any one who can help me with noisy tappets issue in Yorkshire area please - update - its not the rockers or the hydraulic tappets as ive changed them
Last edited by Aminv8 on Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aminv8

engine knock - help!

Post by Aminv8 »

guys need your expertise help please if you can- got a v8 engine in disco, started and drove like a dream, until i replaced the carbs with new twin webbers. After replacing them it run fine until it conked out and stopped, after which i couldn't get it started, so i attempted to put it 1st gear and kept cranking it in gear so it may start, but it didn't start and by doing that i flooded the carb and the petrol was all over the inlet manifold. Got it recovered to a garage and found that all the oil was contaminated with petrol, so gave it an oil and filter change, then started it up and it was knocking, we thought that knocking was due to hydraulic tappets being knackered, which we changed along with new rocker shafts and push rods. fired it up and still knocking, engine runs fine but its got a knock- could it be camshaft or BE bearings? ive taken the sump off and checked the BE - photos attached of one of them - could these be the culprits? or what damage could it have done by cranking it - please any help would be appreciated

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Having petrol in the oil isn't going to help it's lubrication properties.
When you say you've checked them have you taken them all off and had a look?
I can't see your attachment.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

It sounds to me like your carbs have diluted the oil through flooding and your repeated cranking may have killed off a big end or a main bearing.
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Firstly
What oil did they use for the refill. 20w50 is required, good old Dynosaur juice for the old engine.

If it is modern lightweight stuff it will fail to pump up the liftersproperly/fully and not properly lubricate with Rover tolerances.

A tappet sound on these engines is regularly a leak at the exhaust manifold gasket.

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Aminv8

Post by Aminv8 »

right guys update- removed the sump and checked main bearings and big ends, they are goosed!!! got a new issue now - forgot to mark the caps on the conrod!!! how do i go about putting the right caps in the correct order!!! help please

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Using a magnifying glass, you may be able to match the machined surfaces at the joint between cap and rod. Just like they do on the telly when they match bullets to a gun.
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Then its time to check your crank rrealy carefully before you put new bearings in. Otherwise they could be thrown out within 100 miles again.
Last edited by JP. on Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

Aminv8

Post by Aminv8 »

this bloody thing is going from bad to worse!!! i need cylinder head bolts now as 1 has snapped and the others dont look too good- whres best place to get set of 24 as cant find any one selling the set!

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Aminv8 wrote:this bloody thing is going from bad to worse!!! i need cylinder head bolts now as 1 has snapped and the others dont look too good- whres best place to get set of 24 as cant find any one selling the set!
Rimmers will probably have the bolts...

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/?gclid=Cj0K ... Anbc8P8HAQ

I would avoid cheap crap off ebay.

You could go for ARP studs if you wanted, they are better than bolts for several reasons.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

WTF...Quintuple post!
Last edited by sidecar on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

WTF...Quintuple post!

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

WTF...Quintuple post!

Aminv8

Post by Aminv8 »

sidecar wrote:WTF...Quintuple post!

nope no longer available - found someone else who says they have been discontinued and the only thing thats available now is a modification, ie long threaded studs and nuts to go with the studs !

Aminv8

Post by Aminv8 »

whats difference between 3.9 head bolt which come in a qty of 20, as opposed to qty 24 for the 3.5 - if they are the same i can buy 2 sets of the 3.9 ones- any one know please

Return to “Engines Area”