Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Half resin filled

Post by Ian Anderson »

Hi

A while back I bought a 302 block that I was going to put into the GT40

It was recently sent to an engine shop which advised the block was half filled with resin

Does anyone have any idea what this is done for as no doubt it will seriously effect the cooling of the block.

The engine builder says it is not usable in a road car.

Ian

Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

short running drag race engine maybe http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/07 ... k-fillers/

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Cheers Marki
So a boat anchor it is!

Or a dodgy wine rack

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

katanaman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by katanaman »

Paint it silver add a bit glass and you have a coffee table. If your married then yes it's a boat anchor.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Sling it on FleaBay as an ex-drag bock awaiting it's resurrection and subsequent glory at the Pod.
Someone's bound to bite and get your money back for you.
Cheers,
John

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

If its been done correctly it'll have no effect on cooling.

90% of the heat generated is in the top 20% of the cylinder.

Do run an oil cooler though

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Rossco wrote:If its been done correctly it'll have no effect on cooling.
Rossco, does that apply to a road going engine?
Cheers,
John

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Cooling in a GT40 can be marginal at best of time.
Mainly to do with th 7 foot pipes to and from the radiator with the additional drag etc on moving the coolant and when slow you get no air movement around the block (good when it is batting down a track though)

So if anyone fancies a 302 block half filled there will be one hitting e bay soon
I think I may just stick with the bend over unit I have!

Ian

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

They do it to try and strengthen the block. But often as you say it's drag cars where cooling systems only need to run for short periods, or cars running on methanol etc, which by nature also run much cooler, so a loss of water in the cooling system is no big deal.

For a UK driven road car running at normal operating temperatures, I wouldnt be wanting a block like that. But it really does depend how much has been filled.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

stevieturbo wrote:They do it to try and strengthen the block. But often as you say it's drag cars where cooling systems only need to run for short periods, or cars running on methanol etc, which by nature also run much cooler, so a loss of water in the cooling system is no big deal.

For a UK driven road car running at normal operating temperatures, I wouldnt be wanting a block like that. But it really does depend how much has been filled.
Are there any chemicals which could dissolve the resin without doing damage to the metal?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

There are plenty of filled blocks being used for road cars and in ambient temps well above what we get in the UK. It's cetainly not uncommon in the 455 fraternity.

It may as is being said be marginal in a GT40 but with a good oil cooler I'd still give it a go.

JP.
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by JP. »

Just sell that GT40 to me :wink:

I am happy with a RV8 in it.

In real, I am in for a GT40 for a reasonable price. Must be pre '87 registration.
Without registration or post '87 I am not interrested as its pain in the as and wallet to get that registrated in Holland.
No problem with a project, but don't want to invent the wheel again.
If you know one please contact me.
'73 Ford Capri. 3.5 RV8, Magnacharger 110 Supercharger, Merlin F85 Heads, Water/Methanol Injected
'73 Ford F250, 6.7ltr V8
Building a GT40 mk2

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

DaveEFI wrote:
stevieturbo wrote:They do it to try and strengthen the block. But often as you say it's drag cars where cooling systems only need to run for short periods, or cars running on methanol etc, which by nature also run much cooler, so a loss of water in the cooling system is no big deal.

Are there any chemicals which could dissolve the resin without doing damage to the metal?
Not actually sure what the makeup of the fill is...but it is often refereed to as concrete lol
So it sounds like it would be fairly permanent.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Lots of 2-pack resins are susceptible to weakening with heat, but it will probably take enough to cook the block and anneal it, so it looks like it's a sharpened screwdriver and a half-brick to chip it out.... :lol: :twisted:
Cheers,
John

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

unstable load wrote:Lots of 2-pack resins are susceptible to weakening with heat, but it will probably take enough to cook the block and anneal it, so it looks like it's a sharpened screwdriver and a half-brick to chip it out.... :lol: :twisted:
So thats a NO then? :lol:
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Engines Area”