Camshaft break in session.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

There is no oil splashing around till the car is driven and the input shaft front and rear bearinga are the last to see lubrication, 80s Nissan FWD gear boxes had an internal funnel arrangment for both mainshaft and coutershaft to promote this you never run one of these boxes for long periods following a rebuild because they relied on the crownwheel to fling oil into said funnels ifyou didnt the input shaft bearing would fail and spin the outer race and wreck the gearbox case

TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

SimpleSimon wrote:There is no oil splashing around till the car is driven and the input shaft front and rear bearinga are the last to see lubrication, 80s Nissan FWD gear boxes had an internal funnel arrangment for both mainshaft and coutershaft to promote this you never run one of these boxes for long periods following a rebuild because they relied on the crownwheel to fling oil into said funnels ifyou didnt the input shaft bearing would fail and spin the outer race and wreck the gearbox case
When all the gears are turning , half of which are submerged in oil...how is it possible for oil not to be splashing around ?
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

stevieturbo wrote:
SimpleSimon wrote:There is no oil splashing around till the car is driven and the input shaft front and rear bearinga are the last to see lubrication, 80s Nissan FWD gear boxes had an internal funnel arrangment for both mainshaft and coutershaft to promote this you never run one of these boxes for long periods following a rebuild because they relied on the crownwheel to fling oil into said funnels ifyou didnt the input shaft bearing would fail and spin the outer race and wreck the gearbox case
When all the gears are turning , half of which are submerged in oil...how is it possible for oil not to be splashing around ?
My bad poorly worded should of said correct lubrication until moving rather than in neutral, word to self dont write after coming out of sleep after a drink 8) :wink: probably only stating the obvious so excuse me :t
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

Well I guess then that the end of my main shaft must have decided to self destruct itself as it was obviously smothered in oil.....................and running at 2000 revs for 20 min had nothing to do with it.............. I can only say take no notice of Devonmans warning, your gearboxes will always be all right, you have been told...........thats an end to it.

Return to “Engines Area”