New engine time.

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

New engine time.

Post by DaveEFI »

My SD1 EFI engine is getting to the point where it needs an overhaul. Goes OK, but oil consumption is high, and lots of leaks, mainly because of piston blow by.

Ages ago i bough a complete 3.9 off Ebay - said to be good, but plenty wear when checked.

So what I intend doing is to have it re-bored and the crank ground (if needed)
I'd like as least as high a CR as the SD1 which is 9.75:1

My idea is to deliver the block etc to a suitable engine place who will then produce a re-con short engine. I'll then swap the SD1 bits off my engine, including the Stage 1 heads.

Any recommendation for a decent place not too far from London? I'd rather deliver and pick up than rely on a carrier.

Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

FWIW I used Turner Engineering for my 4.6 exchange top hat block/crank/rods/pistons assembly and a year later, no problems so far.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Turners do top quality work - for a top price.

They have done the engine block in my Range Rover, which hasn't given any issues so far.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

I've just looked at their site. £2595 for a short engine is far more than I'm prepared to pay.

Perhaps I'll do better looking for a machine shop just to do the re-bore etc and assemble myself. There used to be several places round here I used in the past - all now closed.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

Not used them for years Dave but were mustard on my my fast Fords and friends machining years ago, always carried out nice lightening and balancing jobs too 2 brothers as I remember, Dave was one of them not far from you either 8-) http://baldyneengineering.co.uk/engine- ... ng/3102526
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

SimpleSimon wrote:Not used them for years Dave but were mustard on my my fast Fords and friends machining years ago, always carried out nice lightening and balancing jobs too 2 brothers as I remember, Dave was one of them not far from you either 8-) http://baldyneengineering.co.uk/engine- ... ng/3102526
Just had a reply to my email. To re-bore, crank grind and supply new pistons and bearings, and assemble crank roads and pistons only to the block, approx £600. Which sounds a fair price to me?

(I'd like it assembled, as I've never fitted new pistons to the rods on an RV8)

Now remembering. The last engine I wore out to the point of needing a full overhaul was the 1800 B series in an Austin 1800. In the '70s. :D That machine work was done by Prince Engineering in Kingston on Thames.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Just out of interest when looking at websites, one said that if re-boring an RV8, the camshaft bearings would have to be replaced too. Anyone know what that was about?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

I think that if the engine has had enough wear to require reboring or relinering, then crank bearings etc will also be worn out - ergo the cam shaft bearings will be also be very worn - given what you have described as to the age of your engine then that is a reasonable assumption and your engine builder should be able to do it for minimal extra cost while he has your block.

Garry

Eliot
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by Eliot »

Would be madness not to change them at the same time - wont add much cost.
Eliot Mansfield
5.7 Dakar 4x4, 4.6 P38 & L322 TDV8
www.mez.co.uk / www.efilive.co.uk

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

That would make sense, but they didn't say that in plain English. Think they also said they had to be replaced if just honing was needed. I sort of read it as the cam bearings would be damaged by the processes involved, so had to be replaced. Which seemed odd to me.

Other sites I've been to don't seem to say this.

But I'll likely have them replaced anyway, so was just curious.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

The 4.6 I recently build was a low km engine and only needed the bores honed and the crank polished - discussed the cam bearings and not needed for that level of use - full rebuild yes - a touchup no.

Good luck with it.

Garry

Return to “Engines Area”