The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index The V8 Owners Forum -
Welcome to the well-known V8 Owners Forum, no matter what you drive if its V8 Powered you'll be made very welcome.

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gadanga from Swindon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index -> Please Tell Us About Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vard66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Gadanga from Swindon Reply with quote

Hey guys.

Long term Rover driver, but new to the 215/RV8. Just bought into Land Rovers and after buying a complete shed of a 300TDi I've stripped it and am putting the off-road kit onto a '95 3.9 Discovery 1 primarily for green laning.

28, Marlborough West Wiltshire, Electical Engineer working in Swindon.

Unlikely to post much, but I'll be poking about looking for common ailments and doing a bit of research as I'm intending on picking up another 3.9 (or possibly a 4.6, undecided yet) and rebuilding while I run the original 3.9, with the aim to ramp up the low end torque for easier green lane cruising rather than top end hp.
2004 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTi SXi

Vard.
ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

1963 Land Rover Series II

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

Chris.
DaveEFI
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what injection you have, you can usually get a very worthwhile gain at the bottom end by going to mapped wasted spark and mappable injection.

On my SDI, the biggest difference in performance after doing this was to the bottom, not top, end.
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y
Vard66

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's '95, believe that's pre-motronic, so should be GEMS? Not certain about that in any way shape or form though, as I said, new to the V8s, I'm used to working with MEMS on the T16 Turbos, so basically, not having to do anything at all until you're knocking on the door of 300hp at which point it'll struggle to automatically adjust the fuelling.
Didn't realise there were wasted spark options out there, I've been aware of EDIS8 for a while but haven't looked into it yet, for the moment I'm giving a go to the weird little multi-fingered condom affair to waterproof the ignition, filled with vaseline and liberally sprayed with ignition sealer when all tightened up, but if there's a definite performance bonus to be had by going electronic ignition or wasted spark then that might well be something I can suddenly justify more easily to kill two birds with one stone.
2004 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTi SXi

Vard.
ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

1963 Land Rover Series II

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Disco 1 3.9 will be the Hotwire system.

On those engines, the fuelling and ignition are basically completely separate. So you could go to EDIS8 + MegaJolt Lite Jr and keep the EFi unchanged (there is one connection between the two that I don't know how you sort out though).

Otherwise MegaSquirt will do all of it.

I used EDIS8 on mine for a while, it was excellent.

But for real torque increase, you need more cubes, i.e. a 4.6l bottom end with a suitable cam.

Chris.
DaveEFI
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm using EDIS and it works well, I'm not sure I'd use it now if starting again. Disadvantages are things like not having a user adjustable rev limiter. But it is simple to install and reliable.

As regards Megajolt, it works very well. But for more cost you could start off using MegaSquirt ignition only, giving you the choice of using it for the injection later on. You can use MS to drive either EDIS coils or smart units like LS single coil per plug, giving you full control of the ignition under all conditions. With single coils per cylinder you then have the choice of wasted spark or sequential.
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y
mgbv8
Gold Member
Gold Member

1975 MG MGB GT V8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Vard Smile

Perry
Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The V8 Owners Forum - Forum Index -> Please Tell Us About Yourself All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: