4.6 Build.. Spec ideas?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Yes. I used old valves (SBC intake for intake pocket, rover intake for exhaust pocket) and cut the face of the valve. I put the cutter in an empty head, bolted the head on the block and used a cordless drill to spin the cutter against the piston. Cheap technique and you will get the pockets in the right position. Jus tmake sure that the valve OD is big enough and small enough. You absolutely don´t want to cut the cylinder wall.

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Thanks Minor that's really helpful. What valve gear did you end up using?

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I have the std merlin valves that came with the heads. I did replace the valve springs though. I now have Comp Cams beehive springs.

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Thanks again Minor. I seem to be a bit stuck at the moment, the gearbox in the car lost the will to live, it needed a rebuild anyhow. Got a two week wait for the replacement R380 box. Decided to push to get the engine done and do them at the same time, though struggling with a few details..

Still awaiting the induction system, ordered since 1st February, delays on the throttle body from Jenvey to blame.. got most of the major components, heads, top hatted block etc, though could do with some assistance on some details.

After a good source for uprated injectors, thoughts on size and supplier, using 14CUX fuel rail etc, along with aftermarket regulator and fuel pump set at 3 bar.

Still undecided about rocker gear, wanting to go roller rockers, though there seems to be some work involved making them fit. Looking at previous posts, the Merlin rocker shaft supports don't want to fit. Seems to be issues with shaft size as well. Thinking TA rollers, emailed V8 performance for more info but no response as yet and no phone number. I guess the stud mount don't need the Merlin supports as from the images they fit on their own cradle?? and what advantages to the more expensive shaft mount ones offer?Whatever, the rocker covers need spacers 10mm thick approx.

I have adjustable rods to work out the lengths then I was going to look towards real steal for a heavy duty set and cut down to right length. Want to stick with hydraulic lifters any recommendations on type/brand? Would like to rev engine to 6000rpm if possible.

Still thinking of 4.0 pistons, I believe you are running these Minor, giving about 10.8:1 compression?

Using omex 710 and binning the megashite system. Would like to get a cam signal to run full sequential system, any ideas on picking up a suitable cam signal? I Would like to use an uprated timing chain and sprocket set which may make the cam signal a bit tricky.

Need a suitable cam for a serpentine engine, real steel ones won't fit as they are for cam driven oil pump versions. Any recommendations? I'm thinking Paul at V8 tuner or Newman Cams PH2 cam which goes to 6000 rpm with a slightly lumpy. Tickover, I can dig the spec out if it helps.

Any clutch recommendations? I understand a 10.5 clutch doesn't fit in a sd1 bellhousing.

Help with any of the above would be much appreciated, as I could do with getting the engine sorted and ready to drop in to the car as soon as the gearbox is here

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

I have 4,6 HC pistons close to deck. CR is around 10,6:1. The block has been machined to bring the pistons closer to the deck.

I have a TR7 spec LT77 wirh SD1 bellhousing and it has not broken down yet. I have a McLeod steel flywheel and 10,5" clutch bought years ago from RealSteel. It fitted in SD1 bellhousing without any issues.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

B33fy wrote:
[snip]

Using omex 710 and binning the megashite system
Nothing wrong with MegaSquirt provided you have chosen the correct one for your application. And installed and tuned it properly. There many thousands in use around the world.

Any problems you've had will apply the Omex too, Which is also a very good system.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

DaveEFI wrote:
B33fy wrote:
[snip]

Nothing wrong with MegaSquirt provided you have chosen the correct one for your application. And installed and tuned it properly. There many thousands in use around the world.

Any problems you've had will apply the Omex too, Which is also a very good system.
I'm sure it is a wonderful ecu Dave, especially for the enthusiiast, but if it's faulty, coupled with very poor support and an attitude of I'm right you're wrong from the supplier, it doesn't make for a very good experience.

I've moved on from it now, as much as it pains me to line someone's pocket for a poor product and service.

Back on topic, any thoughts on cam sensor setup, injectors etc?

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

B33fy wrote:
DaveEFI wrote:
B33fy wrote:
[snip]

I'm sure it is a wonderful ecu Dave, especially for the enthusiiast, but if it's faulty, coupled with very poor support and an attitude of I'm right you're wrong from the supplier, it doesn't make for a very good experience.

I've moved on from it now, as much as it pains me to line someone's pocket for a poor product and service.

Back on topic, any thoughts on cam sensor setup, injectors etc?
Be interesting to see how you get on with a DIY Omex installation and tuning it yourself. Most have this done by a pro. So the same really applies to MS - it is as good or bad as the installation and tuning.

Absolutely no problem getting an MS checked out and repaired if necessary. Jim Murray or myself, to name but two in the UK. And since Jim writes the code, very few know more about it than him.

FWIW, I've checked and repaired dozens of MS. Many are no fault found - so down to a faulty installation, etc. Others damaged through incorrect wiring, etc.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Thanks for the offer to repair it Dave, not for me, once bitten twice shy and all that, I'll leave it for the next victim. :)

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Picked up the inlet and plenum base so I can put the bits back on it and have one less job. Been ported by Ray at V8 developments to 45mm. And Tim at ACT induction fitted new trumpets, nice job. Delays at Jenvey for the Throttle body, should be here soon, for fitting to carbon cover.

Picked up some 440cc injectors. Was thinking the GM red top ones 360's iirc, but decided to go new. Fuel rail adaptor on its way to replace regulator, will probably go with AN fittings as I have some already on the fuel system.

Ordered a Newman cam and new followers, so now it's just the rocker gear and pushrods to sort. Definitely going roller rocker but too many unanswered questions on the TA rollers. Like the look of them but not sure if I have the spring clearance and ideally would like to trial fit but that probably isn't likely to happen. Could do with a phone conversation as I find enquiry by email painful. Will call Paul at V8 tuner tomorrow and look to fit some yella terra rockers and see if I can utilise the extra supports that come with the Merlin heads

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

[quote="not sure if I have the spring clearance[/quote]

What aspect of your springs are you concerned about?

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Rossco wrote:[quote="not sure if I have the spring clearance
What aspect of your springs are you concerned about?[/quote]

Spring diameter.. apparently any bigger thank 1.5" the rockers need machining, the machining is done is a specific way otherwise they break??..

Rossco
Moderator Gold
Moderator Gold

Post by Rossco »

As with any mods if its done incorrectly you stand a chance of breaking it. If you wanted a set I'd get Mike at TA to machine them before shipping. The best I've had from TA is 48hrs from order to delivery.

Having said that I cant see why you'd want to go bigger than 1.5" on a Rover. The springs as fitted to Coops engine are 1.385" and the same springs as fitted to most of TA's 455 big block heads.

Let me know if I can help out. I may be able to loan you a set of rollers to check your fitment.

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Rossco wrote:As with any mods if its done incorrectly you stand a chance of breaking it. If you wanted a set I'd get Mike at TA to machine them before shipping. The best I've had from TA is 48hrs from order to delivery.

Having said that I cant see why you'd want to go bigger than 1.5" on a Rover. The springs as fitted to Coops engine are 1.385" and the same springs as fitted to most of TA's 455 big block heads.

Let me know if I can help out. I may be able to loan you a set of rollers to check your fitment.
Thanks Rossco I would very much appreciate a trial fit to see what needs to be done if anything. Drop me a pm and let me know what you need from me. If you are within a couple of hours of Kent I!m happy to travel (outside of rush hour!!)

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

whats wrong with the old fuel pressure regulator?
if tuned correctly and correct injector sizing used, no need for aftermarket regulator???
I run a stock hotwire fuel pressure regulator 36psi on my 400+bhp supercharged 4.6,
and also WAS running 440cc injectors and was told by my tuner to change to 412cc as we were having idling issues with the injectors as they were not spraying correctly at idle and just doing dropplets of fuel, ok higher up rev range
I'm also running the hotwire factory fuel reg and the new 412cc on the new 4.8 engine, and megasquirt and I'm not a victim ........ :wink:
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Return to “Engines Area”