4.6 Build.. Spec ideas?

General Chat About Engine Build

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

B33fy

4.6 Build.. Spec ideas?

Post by B33fy »

As title, planning to put a 4.6 together for my kit car and could do with getting it right first time. I could do with some pointers to firm up the spec and maybe if I get my finger out, some hints and tips on the build. If anyone is interested happy to cover progress in this thread.

Currently I have a 3.9 installed running the Hotwire system connected to megasquirt which is batch firing injectors, though ideally would prefer it to be sequential and pick the signal from the camshaft. Mentioning this as I will be using it again. The exhaust is a bespoke system one down each side sevenesque style. This will be used also.

I've currently got a 4.6 block needing top hats new cam bearing etc, any recommendations where to get the work done gratefully received. I was thinking of exchanging for a refurbed block from V8 Tuner, if they are any good?

Acquired a pair of Merlin Heads, was going to use standard rocker assemblies, unless there is any suggestions for others that fit under the covers.

4.0 Pistons top of the list currently, any thoughts on valve clearances pocketing etc welcome along with suggested cams.

Induction, possible modded existing system though might treat myself to some gear from ACT if Santa is good to me this year.

Budget wise flexible, but not spending money for tiny gains and bling factor so VFM comes into it.

Not prepared to use RPI (customer don't care) so no pointers in that direction please. Anything else goes :lol: :shock:

Cheers all :)

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Change the motor brand to Chevvy or Ford
Out the box more power than a modded Rover
And then hotter parts are a pile cheaper.

Just my 2c worth

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

yeah but a dressed Rover does look sexy lol

Regards Tony C (COOPS)
MS2 V3.57 Ecu mapable efi and wasted spark ignition.
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Forged 4.8 V8 kitted out with the dogs Cajones of parts. :D
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

So does Ford!
:lol:

Google ford 289 gt40 engine and click images

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Looked at a few options, if I was starting afresh I would have gone down the LS3 route, but I'm too far down the road to sw engine types now, both from a financial aspect and time/fabrication point of view.

It would cost me in the region of 10k to do the LS3 swap, hoping to do the rover lump for £2.50.. No brainer really. :lol:

Coops, liking the thermostat housing, was bespoke or off the shelf? Got similar rocker covers, with the cars name on them, made by a guy in Ireland, don't think he's too well, was in and out of hospital when I ordered mine, a shame really they are a nice touch. I'll post a few images when I can of the previous 3.5 and the 3.9 install, on iPad at moment.

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

same guy for the covers,

stat housing was custom made for my set up with the supercharger
Regards Tony C (COOPS)
Procharger D1SC supercharger and Cossie RS500 Intercooler @ 14psi of Boost. 416 RWHP, (boost leak)
Sponsored by: www.v8performanceparts.co.uk, www.interpart.biz, www.caprisport.com & www.baileyperformance.co.uk

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

Coops
You are such a tart!!

And there goes my promotion :lol:

P
Never had a shiny engine or any tarty stuff on display ever

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Me a tart never lol

Regards Tony C (COOPS)

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

Nope me neither..hate shiny, blingy, nice, smooth, new,.. ooohhh oohh aarr.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

B33fy wrote:Looked at a few options, if I was starting afresh I would have gone down the LS3 route, but I'm too far down the road to sw engine types now, both from a financial aspect and time/fabrication point of view.

It would cost me in the region of 10k to do the LS3 swap, hoping to do the rover lump for £2.50.. No brainer really. :lol:

Coops, liking the thermostat housing, was bespoke or off the shelf? Got similar rocker covers, with the cars name on them, made by a guy in Ireland, don't think he's too well, was in and out of hospital when I ordered mine, a shame really they are a nice touch. I'll post a few images when I can of the previous 3.5 and the 3.9 install, on iPad at moment.
Seriously? You think a bend over is going to be a cheaper option?
Hard fact
GT40 engine in 1990 bought new from DAX £4500. 3.9 Hotwire Morgan Numbered block.
The first build of the car a pilot with BA took said engine and sent it to JOhn Eales for balancing, porting, big valves JE102 cam, pocketed Pistons etc, the bill for the work £6000
Result us a 256hp screamer that revs to 6750
Yes you read that right 256hp

An old iron block Chevy would do that with half the spark plugs removed!

Ian

B33fy

Post by B33fy »

I've already saved £4400 on the engine :lol: and I don't plan on going to the most expensive engine builder in the country :D

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Quite happy with my 404rwhp for 3k upgrade then lol
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Coops, which heads do you have ?

Coops
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

on the new engine TA Performance heads mate,
Regards Tony C (COOPS)

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Coops, I was just curious about the freeze plugs on the heads in the photo above.

B33fy, with 4.6 engine, 4 litre pistons and Merlin heads you really should check your CR. Sounds like you will be close to 12:1. Merlin rocker covers are quite shallow and any bulkier rocker will need spacers under the rocker covers. SB Chevy covers are a pretty close fit to Merlins but only close... It would have been nice if Real Steel would have chosen SBC bolt pattern but no. Rover covers do not fit, nor do SBC.

Return to “Engines Area”