transverse gearbox.

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Fozwanger wrote:Porsche boxter trans are cheap and plentiful

And should easily handle a stock 3.5 rover engine output.

If you are looking at UN1 it certainly is not a transverse system unless you are turning it into 4wd and using two more diffs.

You can get Audi units that are said to handle more torque than a UN1 which in standard form cries enough at about 400hp behind a 5litre Ford v8

I also believe a VW oircooled transaxle would probably suffice behind a mild Rover

Or have a look over at GT40s.com as they have a complete section on transaxles!

Ian

Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Spag

Post by Spag »

The Metro with V8 on PG1 could be found here, but seems unavailable today, still it may come back!

http://www.metropower.org.uk/forum/foru ... 9&start=26

I think I have some of his pics archived away, so I'll dig them out !

The Landcrab/Princess box I have under a V8 in Doris (Mini) is probably not the strongest thing in the world, but judging by the size and weight of the thing it is well over engineered for a 1800cc B series, or even the awesome power of the 2 litre O series.

I'll take some new fangled hi res pics as the ones on V8 Mini are 13yrs old, so no longer state of the art at 400x300 :)

UN1, is a straight forward fit, but does work out quite long. When I finally get back onto the Pievan (Mini), I'm tempted to find an a lump and box from an A6/A8 as it's got to be shorter!

Hmmm, that adds approx zero to the clarity of the situation, sorry :)

Yes, yes, will be doing a major overhaul of the website now I have V8 Mini antics tacking place again!
Ian (Spag)

www.spagweb.com - www.v8mini.co.uk
"The Roughest V8Mini Deathtrap In The World"

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

There's a bloke that put a RV8 onto a Land Crab box and stuffed it in a Mini, so the possibilities are endless...
Actually a Austin Princess box, not Land Crab. My mate did it in very late 90´s here in Finland. http://reocities.com/MotorCity/factory/2760/Viku2.html

Then there was a lad in UK who did the same, albeit maybe a bit less refined package though, see www.spagweb.com .

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Is there actually a difference between the 1800 and Princess, transmission wise?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

DaveEFI wrote:Is there actually a difference between the 1800 and Princess, transmission wise?
The selector mechanism is different, but years back I fitted a Princess 2200 engine and autobox into a Wolseley 2200 auto Landcrab, so there can't be that many other differences.

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Was Landcrab´s gearchange with cable and Princess had rod change ? Or vice versa ?

harvey
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by harvey »

minorv8 wrote:Was Landcrab´s gearchange with cable and Princess had rod change ? Or vice versa ?
Princess was cable, I know the Landcrab was different but I can't remember exactly how it was different. Rod to cable would be a good guess though.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

Early Landcrab was cable change - I had one. Later ones rod. The later rod type wore out and got sloppy rapidly. The cable on on mine was just fine - even at 150,000 miles, and the second engine.

Never did know why they changed it.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

Spag

Post by Spag »

I can't believe minorv8 referred to the install in Doris as anything less than elegant :D

As part of the renovations, I promise some bits will be rationalised a bit!

My princess boxes are on rod, which made a simple job of hooking to Mini linkage.

Here's a pic of a Princess box with a bit of scale.

Full size :- http://www.v8mini.co.uk/gallery/2016/pr ... .38.59.jpg

Also, as promised, the pics of V8 on PG1 that I found are now here :- http://www.v8mini.co.uk/gallery/2016/v8-pg1/
Ian (Spag)

minorv8
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by minorv8 »

Yes, I remember when I saw Ian´s car in the flesh I was more or less speechless :lol:

But to be honest, it is street legal whereas my mate´s car will never be. Our DoT/MoT rules have ensured that.

Ian, I checked your webpage, are you planning to got to EFi ?

Spag

Post by Spag »

I initially ran Doris on a stock flapper EFI, then moved over to Megasquirt 1.1 using as much of the original system as possible for easy fallback.

Having done another MS build on a 4AGE using Edis, I will do the same on the V8 as it's got to be better than the existing dizzy & optical wotsits :)
Ian (Spag)

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”