Flywheel, Rear Crankshaft Seal & Bearing

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Flywheel, Rear Crankshaft Seal & Bearing

Post by Prophead »

I've completed the tear down of my driveline and I need some advice on a couple of things.

1) condition of the flywheel, all the way round the mating surface there are cracks in the surface, is this usual? Can this be skimmed?
2) Can someone point me to a removal proceedure for the rear crank seal and the phosphorus Bronze shaft bearing / bushing. 3.5 RV8 SD1
3) What size 'normal' input shaft? This is currently using the 20.4mm shaft of the 924 but I am thinking to upgrade to the 25mm shaft of the 944 driveline.

The seal actually looks ok but might as well change it now I'm hear, the bronze type bushing looks some what beaten up.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144556909 ... res/mKmEaq

Bear with me, this is the first time I have attempted such an overhaul on anything.

Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That rear crank oil seal looks fine - I would leave it well alone! They are a pig to get right (in my experience!)

To get the old spigot bush out, pack the hole with grease, then drive in a piece of bar that is a good fit into the hole. The hydraulic pressure will push it out.

I think the standard size (i.e. LT77 shaft diameter) is 1".

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

To get the old spigot bush out, pack the hole with grease, then drive in a piece of bar that is a good fit into the hole. The hydraulic pressure will push it out.

I have always found that a really good heavy thump with a lump hammer to drive the bar into the void behind the bush helps a treat but be careful of the grease that may blast back at you when you clout it with the hammer.

Cheers
P

gelmonkey
Sergeant Monkey Face

Post by gelmonkey »

I have always found that a really good heavy thump with a lump hammer to drive the bar into the void behind the bush helps a treat but be careful of the grease that may blast back at you when you clout it with the hammer.

Cheers
P

Prophead
Helpful or Confused
Helpful or Confused

Post by Prophead »

Thanks guys.

Any comment regarding the flywheel surface (pics in first post)?
Porsche 924 GTv8 Track-day car project
Porsche 944 2.5 Lux gone but not forgotten

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

gelmonkey wrote:To get the old spigot bush out, pack the hole with grease, then drive in a piece of bar that is a good fit into the hole. The hydraulic pressure will push it out.
I use wet newspaper.
Cheers,
John

Devonrod
Getting There
Getting There

Post by Devonrod »

If the grease thing don't work, try a small rawlbolt, the type with the threaded rod coming out of it, any DIY/builders should have them, expand it inside the bush and attach to a slide hammer and it comes out easy, I had to do this last year when the grease wouldn't work on that occasion.

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”