Multiple core plug failures

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Isn't anti-corrosion one of the main jobs the coolant has to do :shock:

Have any other steel parts suffered the same?
Do you have an inlet manifold/heater take off? that's steel on my GEMS engine. Could check to see if it is as corroded as badly your core plugs?
Maybe you could do a test with some of your antifreeze in a bowl and drop in some steel parts to see if they corrode?
Could this be down to electrolysis? maye part of the core plug was uncoated and in direct contact with the aluminium block?

Tom.

Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

It is all a bit mysterious.

I am going to switch to Ethylene Glycol based antifreeze, brass core-plugs, and use Permatex core plug adhesive.

I replaced one a month ago with black silicone as a sealant and it was very slightly leaking. So I hope that the Permatex will seal it as that is what it is designed for.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

stevieturbo wrote:It does look like plain and simple corrosion...

Either the part was damaged during fitting, or they're crap quality parts and the plating has come off allowing it to corrode ?

Could anti-freeze really cause such corrosion ?

Given that warranty sticker etc on the plug...I'd be asking the builder of why they think it's happening with their parts ?
:whs Nothing wrong with OAT coolants I have used Quantum 5 year in many RV8's and when I built mine after using the stuff for 9 years I should have left the core plugs alone they had almost zero corrosion and the block is 95 8-) if OAT dissolves steel I would see a lot of modern cars with dissolved water pump impellers I dont and I am on the tools, lots of scare mongering with OAT based coolants I have seen no proof including so called attacking brass and solder etc 8) just my hands on experience chaps 8-)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

stevieturbo wrote:Given that warranty sticker etc on the plug...I'd be asking the builder of why they think it's happening with their parts ?
I'd start there, too.
Cheers,
John

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

Engine builder says "Most probable cause is electrolysis and/or corrosive coolant. If it was a core plug problem it would affect every engine we supply which clearly is not the case. "

Perhaps my coolant wasn't as effective as it looked.....

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

DEVONMAN
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by DEVONMAN »

Interesting problem.

Would aluminium core plugs work ?
Anyone ever seen them for sale ?
1950 A40 Devon Hotrod with 5.0 twin turbo RV8.
EDIS8 wasted spark, Holley Injection.
Been as far as the Moon and back in 57 years of driving. Same Car, 5 engine upgrades !!!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

At one time, you only used antifreeze in the winter. Plain water the rest of the year. And core plugs were plated steel, then as now?
So trying to think what would make one corrode away quickly - other than the antifreeze?
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

DaveEFI wrote:At one time, you only used antifreeze in the winter. Plain water the rest of the year. And core plugs were plated steel, then as now?
So trying to think what would make one corrode away quickly - other than the antifreeze?
Some years back, I replaced the water pump on my P6 and was recommended a product that came in a 250ml bottle to add as anti corrosive. We don't freeze in Cape Town, so all I needed was anti corrosion protection.
Time and a half goes by and I start the old girl to move to another garage and the cooling system is almost dry.... Bring on the garden hose and water is pissing out the front of the engine.
The NEW pump had corroded off in less than a year, at the end of the rubber pipes, both inlet and outlet.
I was less than impressed with that episode, and the rubbish called Aquaclear PX!
Cheers,
John

SimpleSimon
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by SimpleSimon »

People often fail to realise that coolant/antifreeze is the only thing lubricating the pump seal using just tap water or soft water alone is asking for trouble, I have also witnessed additives and cheap coolants that IMO have contributed to premature cooling system issues i.e corrosion hoses rotting from inside out etc, get what you pay for I reckon 8-)
TVR Chimaera RV8 Mods & Megasquirt

Return to “Cooling Area”