LT77, does the gear lever sit between 3rd & 4th?

General Chat About Drivetrain & Transmission.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

LT77, does the gear lever sit between 3rd & 4th?

Post by ratwing »

This is a bit of a long preamble but I've turned the gear lever assembly around and mounted it on brackets so the lever is over the bell housing instead of over the propshaft.
To keep the gears in the same place I've connected the gear lever shaft to the gearbox shaft with bellcranks to reverse the rotation.
However, I didn't write this bit down before taking everything to bits so I want to check that when in neutral, the springs hold the gear lever between 3rd & 4th.
I'm fairly sure this is the case but want to be certain before I drill the holes in the new lever shaft to locate the bellcranks.

sidecar
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by sidecar »

Yes the lever sits in a line between 3rd and 4th.

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

Thanks for that - I'll drill the shaft and see if my design works.

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

That's an interesting idea. Can you upload a few pictures?

Thanks,

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

ratwing
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by ratwing »

The old 4 speed p6 box is quite small compared to the LT77 so everything is really tightly packed now.
The hinged bit behind the gear lever is the seat frame, if the gear lever was in its original place it'd be some way behind me - not a lot of use really.
The Ford servo was too wide but a Nissan Micra one just about fits - the fluid reservoir is now under the back seat, connected by pipes to the master cylinder.
I made some brackets to hold the remote backwards, 2 bolts up by the hairpin spring and 2 at what was the front - because of the extra bending by the levers these 2 also hold a plate with a bush to support the end of the remote shaft, made from 330mm of 14mm steel rod which fits in the ball joint bit under the gear lever. (the wiring isn't finished yet!)

3 rod ends on a bit of flat plate, 2 facing up and 1 facing down so the gearbox and the remote shafts follow each other. I had to remake the levers a few times and oddly needed the remote levers a little longer than the gearbox levers so I could select both reverse and 5th. You can just about see the bracket for the not yet fitted reverse light switch, when the gearbox shaft lever moves down and back it pushes in the switch pin. Unfortunately there's no room for the speedo cable (the end is the bit wrapped in white tape) so still trying to figure out a speedo drive.

The bolt tab on the cap thing over the gear lever always breaks, apparently you can make a stronger one from a tractor part (Massey Ferguson?) but I made a plate to clamp it down instead.
The gear lever is the top of my old p6 one welded to the bottom of the LT77 one. You can just about make out the stub on the left of the gear lever that you have to lift over the shiny bit to engage reverse, the original reverse gate is now on the wrong side - I could have drilled and tapped holes to move it to the right side (the casting has the bosses) but I didn't like it anyway - even with lighter springs it didn't really feel that good.
I put rubber covers on the rods ends, the bit carved out of the top back edge of the gearbox is for bolt clearance where I cocked up the first set of levers...

Return to “Drivetrain & Transmission Area”