A lesson in oils

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

southernd

A lesson in oils

Post by southernd »

Hi,

I've got a Mazda MX5 with a 3.5 modified Rover V8 which sits pretty comfortably in the engine bay. It benefits from a huge custom radiator and a bonnet scoop. It's generally quite a cool running car, even in traffic it takes a while for the fan to be needed.

This week due to time I dropped it off at the local garage and they put in semi synthetic 10w40. My normal oil is 20w50, any premium type. As soon as the oil was changed I could feel the heat from the engine bay, way warmer than normal. Oil pressure seems roughly the same, coolant normal but the vents on the dash were very warm.

Anyway I swapped the oil back to 20w50 this morning and what a difference. When I took the 10w40 it looked almost like water, I guess there simply isn't enough thickness to pump the oil efficiently.

MX5 4.6 V8
Previous of many SD1's back in the day!

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

My SD1 EFI specifies 10/40 in the UK. No idea why the oil grade would make a difference to the heat from the engine - if anything I'd expect a thicker oil to be worse, as it wastes more energy.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

I guess there could be many reasons for this phenomenon?
I have always used 20/50 mineral oil in my Rover V8's be they the original low comp 1975 unit in the MGB right up to the 4.6 race engines. When I tweaked the last Rover out to 4.9 litres I did use 15/40 mineral oil to see how it would perform. It was ok for me for racing.

A friend of mine is an analytical oil chemist and I'm sure he would be able to come up with a long explanation about why this could have happened. But the long story short is : If the change back to 20/50 solved your problem then stick with it and have fun :)

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Now looking for 8 seconds with a SBC engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVscbPHgue0&list=UUqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Interesting. My engine came from a TVR Griffiths 500 donor and it specified Mobile 1 on an engine plate. I thus used this and have noticed that after a short time at motorway speeds my oil temp gets high - 20 degrees above 'normal side road cruising & non-motoring driving'. So much so that I am really limited to 65mph for anything other than short bursts as my water temp increases to probably close to 110 presumably due to the hot oil.

A couple of years ago the recommended listing on Mobil's web site was Mobil 1 Extended Life 0W-40W. Now in Feb 2016 the oil for my engine is now recommended as Mobil 1 Peak Life 5W-50. Obviously fully synthetic. That's what I use.

I've put some cowling around the radiator to help with cooling but not yet had a chance to try this out on motorways. I suspect that the oil will get hot as before and I believe that that is what is making my engine hot.

So, perhaps I should change to quality 20/50?
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

garrycol
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by garrycol »

20W50 is too heavy for a good engine - should only be used in worn out engines.

I normally use 10w40.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

garrycol wrote:20W50 is too heavy for a good engine - should only be used in worn out engines.

I normally use 10w40.
I'd agree, given this was specified by BL latterly anyway.
But having been around a lot of high mileage RV8s, the more important thing is the additive package to prevent cam wear. They don't normally suffer bearing problems which would be associated with too low oil pressure.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

DaveEFI wrote:
garrycol wrote:20W50 is too heavy for a good engine - should only be used in worn out engines.

I normally use 10w40.
I'd agree, given this was specified by BL latterly anyway.
But having been around a lot of high mileage RV8s, the more important thing is the additive package to prevent cam wear. They don't normally suffer bearing problems which would be associated with too low oil pressure.
I agree Dave!
20/50 is used in many classic car engines 4 and 8 cylinder? The additive package in the oil OR dropped in separately is the key to engine life, along with regular oil changes?
I think that many of us rebuild our 40 year old V8's to much better standards and tolerances than they came from the factory with ;)

Perry

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg3avnsNKrc&index=2&list=FLqIlXfSAoiZ--GyG4tfRrjw

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

mgbv8 wrote:The additive package in the oil OR dropped in separately is the key to engine life, along with regular oil changes?
Yes, I agree 20/50 is probably not correct for my engine. What additive package do people suggest, then (but I thought most quality oil brands have them added anyway).
Richard.
Dax Rush 5.0l TVR V8, EFI with Megasquirt ECU and wasted spark, Racelogic Traction Control and Quaife LSD ....... Now nut and bolt restoring a TR6

mgbv8
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by mgbv8 »

richardpope50 wrote:
mgbv8 wrote:The additive package in the oil OR dropped in separately is the key to engine life, along with regular oil changes?
Yes, I agree 20/50 is probably not correct for my engine. What additive package do people suggest, then (but I thought most quality oil brands have them added anyway).
I've always the hi zinc oil additive that Real Steel sell.

Perry Stephenson

MGB GT + Rover V8

9.62 @ 137.37mph

Spongo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Spongo »

Now I was always told by my friends with air cooled Porches that they used 20/50 Dino oil as it was far better at cooling the engine than the modern synthetic oils, if that is correct it could explain the issues that you were getting with the higher temperatures.
Range Rover 630R or otherwise known as the Money Pit
MS2 with switch MAPS for LPG
Techedge Wideband Sensor

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

According to what I've read, the important additive is ZDDP. It's not found in most modern oils as it's not compatible with catalytic converters. But is the best additive by far for the high tappet/cam loads on a pushrod engine - the load on an ohc design is very much lower.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

A Google of '20/50 Dino oil' seems to show them as the Classic oils as per Castrol vintage range and seems they are used a lot in motorbike engines too.

ZDDP additive is also widely available but it too is classed as a Classic oil additive.

Is this correct?

I'm now thinking a quality 10/40 is the best one to try.
Richard.

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I'm using a quality 10w40 and I get no overheating issues cruising on the motorway (In my Dax Rush) and I have an intercooler blocking half my rad. I do have a winged sump which hangs down a little which may help to temperatures at speed?
I haven't used it in anger at speed for prolonged time yet see i'll have to see if I need to add cowling.

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

richardpope50
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by richardpope50 »

Having managed a good run including about 10 miles dual carriage way (A3) @ 70mph, my cooling has not improved with the cowling in place. Despite my rad being 70mm thick and designed for maximum cooling, there's still a problem.

In the 10 miles at 70, engine oil increased by 15 degrees and water temp hovered at 110 degrees (and dual speed fan at max as well). Drops to around 95 degrees when 'normal'.

10/40 it is, then.
Richard.

Ian Anderson
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by Ian Anderson »

Can the air that came in through the radiator easily get out of the engine bay?

Rule of thumb you need 1/3 of the radiator surface opening in front of the rad (your cowling in this case) and 2/3 the surface area for air after the rad.

So unless you have gills, open under the car etc can the air get out?

If not you will not get cool

Ian
Owner of an "On the Road" GT40 Replica by DAX powered by 3.9Hotwre Efi, worked over by DJ Motors. EFi Working but still does some kangaroo at low revs (Damn the speed limits) In to paint shop 18/03/08.

Return to “Cooling Area”