Supercharger options

General Chat And Help Regarding Turbocharging and Supercharging.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

Tom - any idea why yours ate itself?
Upon strip down of the old unit I noticed the bearings used where only rated at something like 20,000rpm (going by the bearing manufacturer datasheet) but the marketing bull***t spec sheet says 80,000rpm max which is what I geared it to at my max engine rpm so in effect I was over revving the high speed compressor shaft bearings.
I have re-built it with Barden 100,000 rpm capable bearings and a larger compressor wheel (probably more in line with the procharger C2 size) so should be ok. Only problem I had was I couldn't but a seal with a high enough surface speed rating, (well I could but would have had to buy 10 at £1000!) so I got the best quality seal I could get at a reasonable price and i'm keeping an eye on oil levels to make sure the seal is working, gradually decreasing my oil level inspection interval (quite tricky to check)

If I was doing another I would definitely plan to go the Turbo route now, I didn't go that route as I have very expensive custom stainless exhaust manifolds I didn't want to cut up!

Tom.

Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Return to “Forced Induction”