Dismantling rover v8 water pump

General Chat About Cooling & Overheating

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

g4dgetboy

Dismantling rover v8 water pump

Post by g4dgetboy »

Hi All

New to the forum but not new to cars, bikes, boats, campervans yada yada ya

Picked up a series 3 Land Rover station wagon with a "professional" V8 conversion.

A 3.5 rover from a 1979 SD1. suffers the long water pump problem solved by the installers tipping the rad forward a bit and using a hammer on the rad to get some clearance!

My question is does anyone know how to get the rover water pumps apart?

I know it can be done because A, the manual says so and B, I've seen the pictures.

If I can get it apart I can machine inches off the nose of the darn thing and turn up a new pulley. Nice thing about having a small machine shop in the back garden! I've got a spare pump with knackered bearings but I'd rather not destroy it as they are not exactly cheap.

I tentatively applied a puller to the pulley boss but got nowhere.

My guess is that the steel pulley mount/boss is sweated on then becomes rust welded over time. and the application of heat and brute force should loosen it.

Anyone know any different?

It's supposed to look like that . . . .honest!

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

It would probably be a lot less effort to get a Rover P6 pump, which is the short version.
Cheers,
John

g4dgetboy

Post by g4dgetboy »

Probably, but effort isn't the issue it's the doing of the thing.

Why spend more money when I can modify something I already have?

Plus there are lots of people looking for shorter pumps and pulleys to fit and I have a machine shop in my back garden!

From what i have been able to make out the pumps and shafts can be shortened by a few inches.

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

It would be good to know how they come apart. I have several old EFI ones where the only fault is a leak. So if they could be repaired - good, given the cost of new ones.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

ChrisJC
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by ChrisJC »

I have converted a Range Rover pump to a LDV pump by putting it in a press, and sliding the pulley down the shaft by a couple of centimeters.

Chris.
--
Series IIA 4.6 V8
R/R P38 4.6 V8
R/R L405 4.4 SDV8

g4dgetboy

Post by g4dgetboy »

I'm not getting much workshop time at the moment but i guess I'll get brutal with it.

Plenty of heat and a puller to start with and if that don't work then I have a friend with a 6 ton fly press. That should get the bugger moving!

kusanagi

Post by kusanagi »

It will be interesting if you can get the pump apart as I tried to take one of my old pumps apart myself a couple of weeks ago, I could not get it apart even by putting it in my hydraulic press and putting nearly 8 Tons of pressure on it, I did not go higher as the pump could shatter. If you cannot get the pump apart and do not want to go down the P6 pump route I believe that there is a short nose EFI pump available ( one without the threaded section for the viscous fan ).
3.5l v8 Triumph Spitfire
351 ci Cleveland powered 71 mach1

SuperV8
Guru
Guru

Post by SuperV8 »

I would be carefull with the heat as there must be some sort of seal in there which could be damaged by heat?

Tom.
Dax Rush 4.6 supercharged V8 MSII

Blown v8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Blown v8 »

If you do get it apart,please take some pics,and do a "how to"

g4dgetboy

Post by g4dgetboy »

The pump seals and bearings are knackered so not really worried about them.

Managed to get the pulley off quite easily, just a press fit, but the shaft and impeller are putting up more of a fight. I've got a cunning plan though.

Will take some pictures, might do a how to, will offer a pump shortening/servicing service if ti comes apart ok and the bearings or something close are still available.

From what I can see the front bearing and dust seal will need pushing out from inside the pump. The lower bearing and seal is what's holding it in there.

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

Sourcing the seal may be difficult. I tried it for my P6 and gave up, buying a new one.
Cheers,
John

RoverP6B
Knows His Stuff
Knows His Stuff

Post by RoverP6B »

Overhaul kits were available in the late 1980s as I have one. Comes with the spring loaded seal mechanism and the ceramic washer but no bearing.

The ceramic washer fits into the back of the impeller, onto which the seal runs. The impeller is one use only, so a new one would need to be sourced.

Ron.
4.6 Rover 3500 P6B

Return to “Cooling Area”