1984 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser to V8 Conversion Help.....

Post any info regarding parts for conversion and swaps.
and any posts regarding swaps help.

Moderator: phpBB2 - Administrators

JonnyEnglish

1984 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser to V8 Conversion Help.....

Post by JonnyEnglish »

Hi Guys,

Hope you are all well, my name is Jon English yes like the film. :) I have just purchased a Capri but it is in need of some TLC before it is even drivable. Its a 1984 laser that started life as a 1.6, however this was a barn find and the previous owner had fitted what I believe to be a 2.0 litre sierra engine (maybe?) anyway you guys might see different and be able to give more information on this.

The Capri is going to be restored over the next year or so by me and the wench (my wife for tea breaks). This is the second car that we have restored, the first being a 1989 classic mini which turned out pretty good! My plan is to get the bodywork perfect, remove the sierra engine and whack in a ford 302 V8 or a chevy 350 V8. The problems I am having is locating parts.... engines seem fairly easy to find on eBay but does anyone know where to get engine mounts and things ready made for the Capri or will these need to be fabricated? Is there some sort of kit you can buy? Does anyone have any advice on whether its worth looking into getting a rover v8 (would prefer american muscle though)? basically I'm looking for any information that may help me with this project.... I would like to see around the 300bhp mark. We've got loads of work to do as the cars a wreck but looking forward to starting it!

Thanks for any help or advice

Jonny

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

You need to research the Basil Green Perana.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_Green_Motors
http://www.perana.org/
I am not a Ford fan, but there is bound to be a LOT of info out there for all the bits you need to do the job properly and SAFELY.
Last edited by unstable load on Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
John

chodjinn
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by chodjinn »

I would definitely stick with the chevy, 300bhp out of a Rover V8 is going to cost you a small fortune whereas a chevy can make that pretty easy! Probably easiest to just fabricate the engine and gearbox mounts yourself, I'm not aware of any kits. Gearbox tunnel might need a bit of massaging depending on what gearbox you go for. Would definitely be a hoot to drive tho.
RIP MGB V8 .... served me well as a learning curve.

R32 Skyline V8 .... this one is gonna be a monster!

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

yea i like the sound of the Chevy to be honest as its one of, if not the most mass produced engines of all time although yesterday I read about fitting the 2.9 24v Cosworth v6 but then its not a v8... decisions decisions.

how what combinations of gearbox works well with the chevy? must be manual as I'm not a fan of autos? does anyone no where is a good place to source the parts other than eBay?

thanks

jon

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

Hi
there was a capri sold in South Africa, and I think in Aus that came with a 302 V8 (Windsor) I think some have fitted the cleavland in the engine bay but it is big and heavy and involves a lot of panel bashing. There are quite a few small block chevys in Capris, there is room. The 302 allows the to fit the T5 from a mustang and avoid the T45 behind a v8 it has issues with too much torque, the T56 is good and strong as is the tr-6060 but you may have trouble getting them in there. There are a fair few 4 speed units that are strong enough but they are a bit agricultural. the selection is much the same for chevys but there are also 3 and 4 speed munchies that have a good amount of aftermarket support.
For bits try CM frosts in Wellingborough (or topspeed automotive same company) they are good people and charge sensible money.
best regards
Mike
poppet valves rule!

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

kiwicar wrote:Hi
there was a capri sold in South Africa,
That's the Perana I mentioned earlier in the thread. A beast of a car, by all accounts.
Cheers,
John

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

IMO track down a 5.3 LS engine and stick either a good T5 behind it, or just fit the T56

If you've a few more quid, then go with the 6.0 etc versions.
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

what about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-4-0L-L ... x#viTabs_0

just wondering what one of these would be like to fit or if there are any other v8's that may fit that might be a bit different? have been looking at the rover v8's again and wondering what sort of bhp a 3.5 or 3.9 have standard and also how hard they would be to get to the 250ish mark (cant see it would be very economical to get to the 300bhp mark)

stevieturbo
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by stevieturbo »

If you're going for something odd like the Jag, go and buy a complete car to get parts from.

Wiring etc will be a nightmare for anything modern unless you move to an aftermarket ecu, which in turn can create it's own problems if that isnt your thing.

The trusty old Lexus LS400 is a great engine too, always with an auto though, but complete cars are very cheap
9.85 @ 144.75mph
202mph standing mile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWRCDtiTQ0

DaveEFI
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveEFI »

JonnyEnglish wrote:what about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-4-0L-L ... x#viTabs_0

just wondering what one of these would be like to fit or if there are any other v8's that may fit that might be a bit different? have been looking at the rover v8's again and wondering what sort of bhp a 3.5 or 3.9 have standard and also how hard they would be to get to the 250ish mark (cant see it would be very economical to get to the 300bhp mark)
I'd say not to get hung about the peak BHP figure. For a road car, it's more the torque curve which is important. And an injection 3.9 will get you to well over 200 bhp with some decent heads, and pull like a train from low revs too.
Dave
London SW
Rover SD1 VDP EFI
MegaSquirt2 V3
EDIS8
Tech Edge 2Y

kiwicar
Forum Contributor
Forum Contributor

Post by kiwicar »

unstable load wrote:
That's the Perana I mentioned earlier in the thread. A beast of a car, by all accounts.
did you where?
Mike
poppet valves rule!

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

What are these like? Does it matter that they don't have carbs?? http://ebay.us/rqANVx

Darkspeed
Guru
Guru

Post by Darkspeed »

Looks like a V8 version of a 1.3 Pinto.
4.5L V8 Ginetta G27

unstable load
Top Dog
Top Dog

Post by unstable load »

kiwicar wrote:
unstable load wrote:
did you where?
Mike
Sorry, Mike.
I just checked and the post is blank for some reason, but if I click on it to quote it, it shows up on my monitor.
Not sure what's going on there.
Cheers,
John

JonnyEnglish

Post by JonnyEnglish »

JonnyEnglish wrote:What are these like? Does it matter that they don't have carbs?? http://ebay.us/rqANVx
Anyone have any information on these, what there like to install, run what power they make etc?

thanks

Jon

Return to “Engine Swaps And Conversions Area”